AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on somewhat of a Quandry. I bought a new Harman Kardon receiver last week which supports digital coax \\ fiber sound inputs but only SVIDEO\\RCA (analog) video inputs.

I have been using the SVIDEO to route to the SVIDEO input on my TV and the quality seems great! Yesterday I purchase an XBOX which does not have a digital sound \\ SVIDEO option. Only a composite video \\ digital sound option or standard options. THis got me to thinking maybe I should pay the extra $200.00 to upgrade my receiver to series which supports component inputs. I would of course still be driving an SVIDEO out but when I do go HDTV I would be good to go.

Does this make sense or is it a waste of dough? Mv DVD Player also has composite outputs so right away I have two devices to support this. I currently have the HK AVR 210 and can upgrade to the AVR 510 for an extra $200.00 I am buying from an HK outlet which is why I am not buying the #20 series..

Thanks!

jcp

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Negative.. No composite video inputs on the TV.. The receiver will handle composite in and SVIDEO out..

·
Registered
15,009 Posts
JCP,

I think you may be overlooking something.

Unfortunately, only a very few high-end receivers transcode among the different typs of video signals. Most receivers only select among the different video inputs. You'll only get out of them the video signals that you've connected to them.

Also, you seem to be confusing composite signals with component signals: a composite signal uses a single wire carrying both color and luminosity information. S-video uses two cables (usually in a single jacket), one with color information, the other carrying luminosity information. Component video uses three separate cables: two for separate color signals and one for luminosity.

I hope this clarifies things a little.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.