AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need just a general computer (tower only, have monitor) to surf net, write real estate contracts, etc....

Does not need to be fancy, but would like to get as much bang for the buck as possible for about $600.

Do any of you guys know of a smoking deal on a CPU for about $600 right now?

Sorry as this is a bit off topic, but I would appreciate any leads of good deals if anyone knows of any.

Thanks

·
Registered
956 Posts
I assume you're talking about getting a Mac, here. First thing that comes to mind is to just get a new Mac Mini. They start new at $599, list. You can sometimes get certified units (older models, reboxes, refurbs) from the Apple Store. I've seen Mini's fro about $100 cheaper there, occasionaly. Anything else in the under $600 range and you're looking at used Macs. You can get a good used G4 for $600 and under. dvwarehouse.com has a good selection, and they have a 30 day warranty. They'll give you and idea what's avaiable, then you can look around other places for better deals. Just depends on the long run for what you might want to do with it. For a simple start to a Mac HTPC, many people use the Mini. The MacPro is expensive and not the ideal form factor for a HTPC, though it is ultimately configurable, and has plenty of horsepower. AV geeks like to build cheap G4 boxes as they have a lot of uses, parts are readily available, especially if you want to use one as a media server.

·
Registered
956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe /forum/post/0

Please excuse my ignorance as I am not knowledgable on computers

Do macs run off the windows OS?

I need something that runs off the windows OS.

Thanks

Well, Macs run OS X. But you can run Windows, if you own a copy, and want to go that route. If not, you might be better off just getting a PC. Check over at the PC HTPC thread. Actually, for $600, your choices for a Windows box are pretty good for a machine for basic needs. I'm not one to spec out purchasing windows gear though. When I do that, I inevitably end up having to provide support for those individuals, and that is something that I don't really enjoy, being a Mac head.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.