AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the new HLM61W on Friday. Found a bad pixel/Screen Particle.

Going to call a local Samsung Service Partner tomorrow to see if the black dot/bright pixel is covered or not under warranty. I am quoting from the sheet that is included in the box with the tv

" A BLACK DOT OR A BRIGHT DOT APPEARS ON THE SCREEN

One or two pixels may appear bright or dark because of a technical limit during the manufacturing process of the LCD built in the TV set. This doesn't affect the performance of the TV"

Doesn't affect the performance of the TV!!! What about the experience of the consumer?

Hopefully I can get this resolved soon...If not, I will sell it and wait and get a HLN series...No use spending the $$$ on the upgrade when I can just sell the current with only a few hours on it for around $3900 and buy the new HLN model.

Any suggestions or comments or similarities?

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
There have been reports in this forum that Samsung has repaired or replaced sets with this problem. I don't recall anyone complaining that Samsung didn't take care of them.

You might do a search or start a thread asking for testimony in case you get a dim tech person. You might also be able to find out how to contact the right person at Samsung.

Work on the subject of a new message to make it clear what you are looking for.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Les, thanks for the info, I will look into it. I talked with Samsung today and they are going to send a tech out on Monday. I guess there is an "A" region and a "B" region on the screen of the set. "A" meaning the center area and "B" meaning the outer area....Not sure how the measure "A" vs. "B", but anyhow, they said there is a zero tolerance basically if a dead pixel appears in the "A" region and if the dead pixel appears in the "B" area, there must be three or more for Samsung to cover under warranty....Let's hope for the "A" region!

Bryce

·
Registered
118 Posts
Once it is checked, please post what the limits are for the A and B areas.

I had a white pixel and they replaced the set. Now I have a black one but its not the big a bother, but when the upgrades came out down the line, I was going to ask them to fix it at the same time.

My dot is in the middle of the screen vertically, about 5 pixels inward of the left edge on 4:3 material. Like I said, it's not that big a deal.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
First time I've ever heard anything this specific. I thought TI never let any DLPs leave the factory with bad mirrors, and supposedly would replace any ones that are found to have defects.

Sure wish we could get real specifics from TI and Samsung on what is and what is not covered.

This is a really silly distinction anyway. What about "A" and "B" regions while you are in side-by-side PIP mode?

Oh well, if this is really the case, I guess that possible competitive advantage DLP might have had over LCD is shot.

My last set had intermittent bad mirrors and they changed and got more numerous over time. I suspect it was not actually a bad DMD in that case. I wonder how they know what is bad without working on them?

To me, even one bad mirror is distracting. I sit 10 foot back and they stick out like a sore thumb.

Quote:
Originally posted by bbryce
I guess there is an "A" region and a "B" region on the screen of the set. "A" meaning the center area and "B" meaning the outer area

·
Registered
73 Posts
" A BLACK DOT OR A BRIGHT DOT APPEARS ON THE SCREEN

One or two pixels may appear bright or dark because of a technical limit during the manufacturing process of the LCD built in the TV set. This doesn't affect the performance of the TV"

I read the same thing in the manual (or was it the insert), but there was also a message about avoiding burn-in which, as we all know, is impossible on DLP. I think this is standard crap clauses that Samsung puts in there books now to avoid lawsuits. The above quote is not even related to your TV... unless I am mistaken, there is not an LCD anywhere in your TV. There are also not any pixels... unless you want to use the broadest definition of the word. I really think your phone tech guy (and if Samsung is like most other companies, this guy was just reading quotes out of a manual. They usually dont have that high of standards for the phone crew) thought you had an LCD monitor (or thinks LCD and DLP are related). I may be wrong, wouldn't be the stupidest thing a company has done.....:( , but I don't think so.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Without having you measure....Mine appears to be in the exact same spot and according to my co-worker, his seems to be in that area as well. The only challenge is that I bought it employee purchase and had it shipped direct from Samsung...Hopefully I can have it replaced instead of fixed...After all, it is only a few days old.

Bryce

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
If you go direct through Samsung on support, they will want to have a tech come out and look at it before they do anything. And I would almost guarantee they will want to order parts to replace the light engine as opposed to replacing it. Should be ok as long as the tech knows how to refocus things correctly, tell them to bone up before they learn on your time at your house, which seems to be the norm for stories about techs lately on here.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bbryce
I guess there is an "A" region and a "B" region on the screen of the set. "A" meaning the center area and "B" meaning the outer area....Not sure how the measure "A" vs. "B", but anyhow, they said there is a zero tolerance basically if a dead pixel appears in the "A" region and if the dead pixel appears in the "B" area, there must be three or more for Samsung to cover under warranty....Let's hope for the "A" region!
That's interesting. I had a bad (black) pixel on my HLM507W a few months ago. First they sent out a clueless tech who couldn't even find my house. He said all he was trained to do was replace the light engine or the bulb. Since standard operating procedure for bad pixels is to replace the light engine, he said he could do it, in my LIVING ROOM. I'd heard stories of unfocused pictures following light engine replacement, and numerous stories about dust on the optics. There was no way I was having this done by this DLP rookie on my brand new TV in my dusty living room. I fought hard and eventually got a replacement set from Samsung.

At the time it seemed like they considered any bad pixel reason enough for a repair or replacement. This A vs. B thing is some serious BS. Definitely no one ever measured where my pixel was. In fact, I got the impression the service guy who came to my house never even talked to Samsung after his visit.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Man, thought I found 2 dead mirrors on my set this morning that definitely weren't there before. Right after I posted to this thread. But when I press the screen in, the bad spots don't move with the mirrors. Whew!

It looks like a bug hit a windshield. I don't know how it got there, and it will be fun trying to get it out. I guess I open up the door on the back and go through some contortions with some kind of a rod with a Qtip or something on the end.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, technician came today....Couple of hours late and calling for directions...Carlos Santana look-a-like looks at my TV and while trying to rub the dot off my screen...He said it looked like it was a piece of dirt!....Oh my gosh....As I remember reading all the previous posts about the clueless Sammy technicians. I told him that I was pretty sure it was one of the mirrors on the DLP chip and he seemed to disagree. Well, while it was working fine with the exception of the dot, he said he would have to bring it into the shop. This guy ask me if would be okay to bring a dolly into the house...I thought...A dolly? The thing weighs 103 pounds? I offered to help the guy carry it out to his truck where he covered it in a blanket...No straps or ropes! All I can do is cross my fingers they know what they are doing. I guess I willl have to wait the week to find out!

Will keep you posted.

Bryce

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
all you have to do is push in the screen slightly to verify if it is dust or not. The "pixels" move differently than the dust if it is dust.

Wouldn't this type of thing be obvious to somebody that does this stuff for a living?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.