AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Vendor
Joined
·
32,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was just amazing:

Swan Speaker Systems ( Damb !! Check out this 7 speaker sytem for about $54,000. MSRP !! > ).


I have never heard anything like this, ever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,399 Posts
Swan products at $100K? Most interesting... even if they are way better than anything out there, people will probably still opt to spend their hard earned cash on safe bets like Wilsons... Still the concept of having small multiple ribbon tweeters is amusing. Apogee-like sound?
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
32,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apogee-like sound?, what do you mean by this?


They sounded out of this world. Wrong MSRP, fixed above.


What is the general feeling on these speakers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
I would like to hear anybody's impression. Cleveland Plasma, could you get into more detail? I love hearing people's impressions.


Here is how the swan website waxes regarding the sound:

Quote:
Sound takes shape. Sound enters your ears and takes you gently away to paradise. Calm melodies pace back and forth unconstrained around the room. Emotions flow free in the music. Sorrowful ballads, dark and fragrant fluctuate and shake your heart.


Pure and natural, a soothing wind blows through trees and gently shaking leaves. Slowly you drift into tranquility. The sounds of modern life slip away from memory as your mind returns to it’s natural state. At the heart of the metropolis, a pool of serenity in the concrete desert. Drink and fill your soul with the music.

Presumably, a swan would be gliding in that pool of serenity...


Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs markie /forum/post/15508491


Presumably, a swan would be gliding in that pool of serenity...Mark

LOL... the Swan website should just say something like, "one of the best loudspeaker in the market, try it out." Flowery self grandeur poem makes me unconvinced of what looks like over the top engineering with results that can only be confirmed through personal audition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Yeah, they're line arrays, and...? Lots of people have marketed arrays, and many DIY them.


I'm sure they will have truly outstanding dynamic range, since they're efficient. The nearfield experience from an array is super sweet. I'm sure this one was as well. Still...


Why did they use dome midranges? One of the main points of an array is to control vertical dispersion as much as possible. The dome midrange is the antithesis of controlled vertical dispersion! (BTW, I say this as a huge dome mid fan. Wharfedale Opus is one of my all time favs for conventional speakers, probably best bang for your buck, and it has a 3" dome mid. Just not great for an array.) An array of mid planars/ribbons/electrostatics would have been a better choice.


Finally, why 6.5" woofs? With that size of cabinet, they could've given it some grunt with bigger/more woofs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma /forum/post/15505179


This was just amazing:

Swan Speaker Systems ( Damb !! Check out this 7 speaker sytem for about $54,000. MSRP !! > ).

I have never heard anything like this, ever.

It reminds me more of the Infinity IRS' with the 2 modules combined.

http://www.infinity-classics.de/infi...8/IRS/IRS4.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyaDawn /forum/post/15510794


What are the advantages of line arrays anyway?

Extreme efficiency and dynamics, coupled with low distortion, are the primary benefits. Large numbers of drivers equals lower distortion, as each driver in an array moves a small amount versus 1 or 2 drivers moving a large amount. Since distortion generally increases with increasing excursion, the array wins. They're generally efficient, as the drivers are generally wired in parallel. That lowers impedance and raises the dB/watt @ 1m.


Other benefits come from the comb filtering effect of all those drivers. Since there are so many interactions, the peaks/nulls from one are outweighed by all the others, so the net frequency response tends to be very smooth. Also, vertical dispersion is very low, so low floor/ceiling reflection issues. In addition, the wavefront behaves differently than a standard point source speaker. The array only loses 3dB/m acoustic output, versus 6dB/m for a standard speaker. All good stuff.


On the con side, arrays are huge cabinets with a small fortune's worth of drivers, not to mention the crossovers (usually active) and amps to drive them. Arrays can get pricey!


Check out this link if you want more info on arrays:
http://www.audioroundtable.com/misc/nflawp.pdf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Element /forum/post/15511553


Extreme efficiency and dynamics, coupled with low distortion, are the primary benefits. Large numbers of drivers equals lower distortion, as each driver in an array moves a small amount versus 1 or 2 drivers moving a large amount. Since distortion generally increases with increasing excursion, the array wins. They're generally efficient, as the drivers are generally wired in parallel. That lowers impedance and raises the dB/watt @ 1m.


Other benefits come from the comb filtering effect of all those drivers. Since there are so many interactions, the peaks/nulls from one are outweighed by all the others, so the net frequency response tends to be very smooth. Also, vertical dispersion is very low, so low floor/ceiling reflection issues. In addition, the wavefront behaves differently than a standard point source speaker. The array only loses 3dB/m acoustic output, versus 6dB/m for a standard speaker. All good stuff.


On the con side, arrays are huge cabinets with a small fortune's worth of drivers, not to mention the crossovers (usually active) and amps to drive them. Arrays can get pricey!


Check out this link if you want more info on arrays:
http://www.audioroundtable.com/misc/nflawp.pdf

Wow, great reply, thanks for all the info! I've yet to hear a line array speaker. With the drivers lined up from top to bottom, I've always wondered what the soundstage would be like? Does it seem "tall"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyaDawn /forum/post/15511637


Wow, great reply, thanks for all the info! I've yet to hear a line array speaker. With the drivers lined up from top to bottom, I've always wondered what the soundstage would be like? Does it seem "tall"?

Only when the sound molecules are coerced to stand vertically.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond leggs /forum/post/15511811


only when the sound molecules are coerced to stand vertically.

Good one!



With some line arrays that look like they are 8-10' high, I always pictured a vocalist would sound huge!


I assume there is a much larger sweet spot with so many tweeters?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyaDawn /forum/post/15511890


Good one!



With some line arrays that look like they are 8-10' high, I always pictured a vocalist would sound like a giant mouth!

LOL, not quite.
But the soundstage does tend to be seem large, probably bigger than what you're used to. But that's a good thing! Think of all the audiophiles out there spending huge $$$ to get a big soundstage!


Most arrays will not sound abnormal in the soundstage department. Power tapering (see article) can tame the soundstage down if it is out of line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninefivezero /forum/post/15512313


What I don't understand is the subwoofers.


15" woofer, 118 pounds, ported, 2600 watts RMS and only 30hz?

Wow, I didn't read the specs for the sub. That's terrible!



If it's got a 2600W amp, why even port? Put a LT circuit on it and run it sealed with that much power!


The other problem is mating a point source sub with a line array. You'll only get the volume matched at the sweet spot. Anywhere in front or behind, forget it.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
32,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I am not seeing any negative feedback so, I bought this seven channel system today
Now the wait begins until it arrives. Can't wait !!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles /forum/post/15549735


Line arrays tend to disperse better. This concept has been used in live sound for years.


The Eagles DVD-A was amazing on this set up!Q

Better than JTR that's better than Wilson?
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top