AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i purchased Apple's converter for my ipad2 which works swell with my HDMI tv, however i have an older second tv in another room that i currently pay my cable provider extra bucks each month to get cable which is delivered to my old Phillips non-HDMI tv via its sole (!) input - a coaxial cable (no RCA or HDMI on the back of this tv, and I also do not use any type of converter box or dvr with this set, just cable straight to tv). The thing is, since my cable provider now provides cable viewing to my ipad2 for no charge, I'd like to stop paying them for the 2nd tv and use the old tv as a monitor only, hooking up the ipad2 from time to time to watch cable tv, internet, etc. when in this other room. My question is, how to do it? Apple and other 3rd party vendors have RCA to ipad adapters or RCA to HDMI adapters (there is an HDMI slot on my Apple ipad2 adapter) but I can't seem to find such support for coaxial. Should I give this up or convert coaxial to RCA and then get another Apple adapter for RCA to ipad2 or maybe I should just stop the madness now? Any and all suggestions welcome. TIA.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Are you looking for a composite video (yellow RCA) plus stereo audio (Red+White RCA) to RF channel 3 (coax) conversion?

Thats called an RF modulator, a typical accessory for old TVs without a composite video input.

Check at Radio Shack or other electronics supply stores.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Quote:
maybe I should just stop the madness now?
yes. if your only choice on the TV is an RF connection your picture is going to look like crap. May I ask how the cable company even knows about, let alone charges for a TV that is connected directly to the cable, with no intermediate equipment they can charge you rent on?

·
Registered
349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy /forum/post/0

yes. if your only choice on the TV is an RF connection your picture is going to look like crap. May I ask how the cable company even knows about, let alone charges for a TV that is connected directly to the cable, with no intermediate equipment they can charge you rent on?

+1

I have never heard of a cable company charging an extra monthly fee for a cable ready set hooked up without any boxes, regardless if they know about it or not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.