AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Marantz VP8600, which is a great quality 720p projector. It is all that I have ever had, and is all that I know. From what I understand, there are projectors out there that are light cannons. If you were to properly calibrate both projectors, to the correct contrast and brightness using the same setup disc, in theory, would the "brighter" projector perform any differently? (I am strictly talking about its ability to throw a bright image)

·
Registered
16,917 Posts
A higher lumen projector will usually be 'brighter' than a lower lumen projector at D65/6500K, it varies by model however. Some projectors lose a good portion of their lumen's, when properly calibrated, while others are able to maintain much of theirs. Simply setting the contrast/brightness controls is not a proper calibration and will generally have less of an effect on lumen output than a D65/6500K calibration.

Jason

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
It really depends on the level of light control and room size. I have my living room light controled with windows blocks and cand drop it down to lumens equivalent to less than a night light. For me, even my new HD66 when claibrated and outputting about 1000 lumens is a bit too much at 96". For this type of app, the sweet spot seems to be 600-800 or less. Of course, if you have a light control issue or a very large screen, you are going to need more lumens.

The good news is that your bulb loses about 20-30% of its lumens after 800 hours. So, getting an projector that is a little birghter than you need isn't necessary a bad thing.

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
Typically a brighter projector will produce grayer blacks and very white whites. As if the contrast range stayed the same but shifted up the gray scale a few notches. That is what people are seeing when then get a high gain screen like the Dalite High Power. Still the pop is there and very watchable if not downright beautiful--but better for average lumen projectors. Getting a darker gray screen to boost blacks is also an option with a very bright projector, e.g. a screen gain less than 1.0.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.