AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Been looking into doing my own house automation setup, but the house is still a 6 months off so i thought i'd do as much research now so i know what i want where

The specific issue i'm having trouble on finding an answer on is this:

With an A-Bus System, as far as i can tell it just uses a PoE panel that all of the keypads are wired into and then the audio soure is as well, sounds like a dumb system to me (when i say dumb i mean as in, not clever, it just sends the same signal to all of them and no real decisions are made between the patch and the keypad). So is' there any reason i couldn't use a 3.5mm to Ethernet adapter such as:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stereo-Mini-3-5mm-Audio-Balun-Extender-Over-Cat5-Cat5E-Cat6-Cable-/310443322658

(though one that injects the required power for the keypad) and run each keypad seperate from the other?

I hope i asked that clearly enough, basically i want to have a seperate source to every single keypad, and this system looks like it's the simpliest for what i need!

I should mention i am not interested in using any of the prebuilt boxes that are out there as they are all too limiting for what i want to do.

Cheers for any advice!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Jesus How come no-one has replied?!?! It's been 23 ENTIRE minutes.

Just kidding, i'm not that pathetic.

At any rate as i continue my research i came upon this little gem: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1003275/non-a-bus-amplified-volume-control on these very forums! So it looks like i can do exactly what i want.

So to summarise what CVanMeter in the above article, you just need to run 24volts down the brown paid of the cat cable and run the audio down the green and orange (left and right), which is awesome news as it means i can easily send a different source to every single room!

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Why not use a 4-source A-Bus hub, as it was designed to do this in the first place? Then you'd also be able to select sources from the keypads instead of having dedicated sources...

http://www.russound.com/product_detail.php?i=978

Is this house currently under construction? Make sure the WHA wiring is done properly to allow the use of centralized amp-based systems as well as A-Bus. The amplified keypad systems are generally the lower-end of the product spectrum. Nothing wrong with them, but you want the wiring to be flexible. Besides, you shouldn't be buying any technology for a house that's 6 months away anyway!

Jeff

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
It's been two hours - why haven't you replied????

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Jautor!

Thanks for the quick reply, and sorry it i didn't reply for more than 2 hours, it's a bit Pitiful huh?

A little bit more info on my plans and you'll see why i needed a solution like this, and don't worry i won't be buying anythign for a long time!

It all started watching that awesome video by james at: http://james.lipsit.com/home.htm and watching him talk to Hal, and it got me thinking, i'm pretty comptuer savy i figured i could make an 'AI' (clearly it isn't a real AI) that could answer all the questions i throw at it, something that can tell me the weather for tommorow and world war 1 started or the death rate of japan, any question i ask it that has a fact atributed, if you ask it something opinian biased such as is iPhone or Samsung better then she cops out responds with her opinion (though it is often nonsense) For example a question my dad always liked was:

Q: What's the difference between a Duck?

A: One of it's leg's is both the same

(He's a weird man alright?)

Anyway Cortana answered me today that it's because it was stapled to a chicken...... I'm not kidding, it was a strange response but i was showing my father and it gave him a hell of a laugh so i guess it was worth it!

Anyways sorry for the tangent i was pretty damn happy once i had her answering questions she couldn't answer with something else instead of just asking what i said. But as you can see i would need microphones in all of the rooms, and i need to know which room is talking, AND i need to be able to control the source to every room independently of the other AND i need to know what it's currently playing etc. I know there are systems out there that *can* do it, but given i was looking at 15 zones, they are crazy expensive.

So as i was readying the specs on one such system i was looking at the hardware specs and realised it's not even close in power to my own personal computer, surely i could just build a computer that had enough audio inputs and outputs, and write a program to seperate them out and ID which microphone was being talked to and pipe the answer back through to the correct room? Since then 've been breaking down the parts of the project and slowly finding solutions. In fact now that i've written all this i might make a new thread and post my propesed build, see what you guys think of it and any advice or changes you'd give me!

I'll explain the wiring i plan as well.

Oh and to answer you, i will be wiring everything to everywhere, i won't be buying anything just yet, and no the house isn't under construction, i won't be making a move until i am sure of what i want and where, and have all the cables in my arms so i can get in there and get the cabling done without being delayed for cables!

Cheers for your answer, i'll leave a link to the new thread in case your interested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.