AVS Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Part of my setup includes the DH61AG Intel Thin mini board and the SilverStone SOD01 slot load DVD burner. The DVD drive uses a slim SATA cable. Periodically Windows would not see the drive and not load the cdrom.sys driver, so I'd have to unplug the cable, plug it back in and reboot and it would come back.. The DH61AG board has the PSU integrated with the board and uses a 19V cube for power. It also has the SATA power connector on board. I'm thinking, OK, the cables probably loose. so I found a compatible cable made by OK Gear that had a latch type SATA data cable that looked pretty good. Went and bought it put it in and long story short it fried the motherboard 5V circuit and melted the connector on the drive. It turned out the 5V red wire and the GND wire were swapped in the molded end of the connector that plugged to the drive. I'm an electrical engineer and fortunately live in an are where I could get surface mount parts so I was able to repair the mother board and salvage the drive connector. I put back in the original cable and everything worked okay. I took a picture of the cable connector and sent it to the only email contact OK Gear lists and detailed my issues. No reply. This could have started a fire, and if I hadn't been able to do the repair I would have been out about $200 for a nine dollar cable which because of the cost of gas isn't even worth returning. Needless to say OK Gear is off my list for any future purchases and is a good indicator for the quality control of a lot of stuff coming out of China lately. If I thought they had any UL certs I'd document this and send it to UL but since it's technically low voltage they probably don't need the certs anyway. I'll probably still ping UL just because of the fire issue.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts