AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,

I live in a condo rental and have neighbors, but I honestly don't give a **** about them. We never talk anyway. What I do care about is getting just loud enough not to have the cops called on me. So, here's the deal.

I already have a sub that will need to be toned down just a bit from where it is now and I will need speakers for just the next 3 to 4 years at most that will give me great sound in a apartment-sized living room but be cheep.

I have ditched my earlier plan of buying for the future but after looking around and not being too impressed with the price/performance of most speakers I'm seeing since getting back into this audio enthusiasm, I've decided to use some of my old-school knowledge to put together a great mish-mash of used and new speakers.

I already have the Cambridge Soundworks PSW1 sub and it's STAYING. I lub my sub.

I believe I have solved my "dipole" dilemma for the rear channels. Because of all this saturation of speaker information lately, I ended up having a dream about a funky tweeter that was twice the size of the palm of my hand and looked like a dome cage which had strips of metal inside that vibrated and created a room filling aura of sound. When I woke up thinking about the tweeter, I suddenly remembered an old dipole tweeter on a speaker sold by Radio Shack way back in the 90's. So, I looked it up and found it was the Optimus LX5. This was the ticket! A direct firing mid and tweeter but the tweeter also fires dipolar sound in another direction! Bingo! A small, nice direct+radiating speaker that doesn't break the bank for my surrounds. So, I'm in the process of buying a used set of Optimus LX5's for my rear channels. Yes, they only have 5-inch woofers but with my living room being smallish and my distance from the speakers being just 7-feet on all sides, I think these will do a perfect job emulating multiple speakers and creating an "aura" of sound from the sides which will sound like it's all around me.

So, having decided to go "cheap" and a bit smaller on driver size to suit my smallish living room, I will be willing to buy 5.25-inch MTM based fronts. It's very likely these will be a speaker designed for center channel use which I buy "THREE" of and make them matching L-C-R fronts.

The speakers I'm considering right now:

$69 - Fluance AVSC center channel. These seem like a great idea. They have VERY similar looking poly woofers when compared to the Optimus LX5. This setup will seem very likely to have matching sound character after the MCACC auto-tune is run (the tweeters probably won't be a perfect match but in this case it's not critical as surround speakers often don't match all drivers to the fronts in most other theater systems as it is). These are my front runners due to the very cheep price and virtual match of the small cabinets and identical looking poly woofers. I bet these will be an impressive 'voice' match on the woofers despite them being different brands.

$105 - BIC America Venturi DV62CLR-S (three L-C-R arrary up front). These are larger 6.5's in an MTM design. The woofers are poly which match my surround woofer material but with them being 6.5's and having a larger cabinet, they will likely not be a 'perfect' voice match even after some MCACC and manual EQ tinkering. However, these have poly tweeters. The Optimus LX5 dipole tweeter uses a 'poly' film. So, the character of the tweeters have a 'chance' to be fairly close in tonality after MCACC or other auto-tune has it's way.

Does anyone else have speaker ideas that could trump these? Let me have it. I want to roll with this cheap experiment of MTM fronts and LX5 rears. Having this system for a while will give me enough info about design differences and what I will prefer for my next BIG theater system when I get a house.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
What about the jamo Concert series on the vanns site? $80. a pair, $80. for the front. You could always get towers in the future and use the bookshelf on vanns as surrounds.

There is also a 5.1 setup for $200. that has everything including a sub.

If you search jamo on e-bay ive seen these all in one systems that dont look bad either, the dvd player is a powered receiver and the speaker system is the jamo A102 set vanns has on their site for 299.

wwstereo has a pair of jamo E660 tower speakers that seem like a decent deal.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 4-inch drivers on the Jamo are kinda turning me off here. 4-inch woofers are usually used for "near-field" (3-4 feet) and I'm setting this up for listening at 7-feet away. Distance and room size matter greatly in bass production. Even 1-inch differences in woofer sizes can make huge impacts on bass quality at louder levels. If the woofer size is not carefully considered and matched for listening distance and room size, then you can end up with an empty and weak sound. I'm already sacrificing a ton of bass by going to 5-inch woofers on the Fluance models. Plus, I wanted to stick with silk tweets on the fronts and those Jamo tweets look like mylar domes, which I've never much cared for. Any other possibilities?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 /forum/post/18308365

What about the E660 for the rear and the E680 for the front with the E7 center.

The E680 has 2 8" drivers, $129. each tower.

http://www.wwstereo.com/website/ecom...33&search=jamo

Okay,

Here is what I'm shooting for:

I want complete symmetry across the front. Plus I want both a direct and ambient soundfield generated for the side channels. My best research has led me to choosing the Optimus LX5 speaker with the Linaeum Dipole tweeter. I am set on giving these a try for the rears. They will be cheap and have really great promise as surround channels to accomplish exactly what I'm after. The fronts need to be an MTM array and I want them to at least be able to accomplish 'some' midbass upfront (100Hz - 180Hz). I plan to try a 100Hz highpass with the fronts and a 120Hz highpass for the rears.

Here are shots of what the rears look like:

This is a perfect surround channel for a small living room and will accomplish both direct AND radiating sound thanks to the dipole tweeter. I can't wait to play around with them and tune them out with 2-channel music on the MCACC calibration then run them while perfectly tuned for surround material. I bet they will sing!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs /forum/post/18308375

I wonder if Polk Audio Tsi 200 might be perfect for you? MTM, Silk/polymer tweet, cheap, plus easy to audition.

Ron

I've actually auditioned all the Polk speakers in their line but I just didn't find any "attraction" to them. The sound was just 'ok'. The only speakers that were Polk that might have worked for me were a pair of their outdoor speakers BUT it used an old/LOUD metal dome tweet that Polk used to front on all their speakers years ago. I thought the mids were exactly what I wanted (ambient, full for the rear channels) but the metal tweet killed it for me, real tinnty.

I would have gone with Boston's newer line but when the volume is cranked, the beautiful sound just falls apart. I mean they have NO dynamics. NONE. ZERO. But sound absolutely sweet at low and low-mid volume. They would be perfect as a backround music speaker. Really nice sound. I could tolerate that for a rear speaker but not for the fronts.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/18310045

I bet they'll sing too, especially if you stuff the ports with straws:

http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcom.../695ratshack/#

If you use 9 red straws, it will make the 3.6" "woofer" really sing!

Craig

It's a 5-inch woofer, not 3.6. Anyway, I'm using these for surround speakers but remember that there are variants of this LX5 that Radio Shack sold. I "might" do some mods to the enclosure and ports "IF" the MCACC equalizer is unable to straiten out it's bass response. There's a chance I won't have to do much of anything to it.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboroth00 /forum/post/18309894

Why does it have to be MTM?

Well,

I want to try out THX's recommended speaker array which is for limiting vertical tweeter dispersion and having the surrounds fire sound in two directions for increasing ambience. I wanted a variant of the dipole surround method by having the speaker do direct and indirect sound dispersion. There was either the expensive ass M&K tripole or the LX5. I couldn't find anything else that really filled the role I was looking for. Also, remember. This speaker setup is just an experiment of very cheap speakers that are temporary, not permanent. I'm trying to evaluate different surround sound designs. I've heard quite a few in a home setting but haven't really gotten a chance to sample a movie using the setup Lucasfilm recommends. This time around I will give this design a shot. I can always ebay the fronts and buy nice 2-way bookshelves if I don't like the MTM front array.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well,

I didn't get the speakers I wanted. Some cheatin' ass ebay bidder waited until literally the last second to place a cheater's bid to take it from me. That pisses me off. Bid your price well before it ends, don't cheat like an ass. OOOO, that pisses me off.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 /forum/post/18311691

Well,

I didn't get the speakers I wanted. Some cheatin' ass ebay bidder waited until literally the last second to place a cheater's bid to take it from me. That pisses me off. Bid your price well before it ends, don't cheat like an ass. OOOO, that pisses me off.

lmao

www.auctionstealer.com

Don't whine about it get in the game and use the right tools, bidding wars are stupid

I would never bother with an ebay bid without. Its just dumb NOT to use it!! Its not cheating either....geesh

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboroth00 /forum/post/18309894

Why does it have to be MTM?

Because he does not know enough about speakers to figure it out but he posts like he knows everything. He is stuck on the THX, blah, blah stuff and he thinks MTMs are the only way to get limited vertical dispertion.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 /forum/post/18305124

Okay,

I live in a condo rental and have neighbors, but I honestly don't give a **** about them. We never talk anyway. What I do care about is getting just loud enough not to have the cops called on me....

Maybe your neighbor read your first post and decided to outbid and out"loud" you.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/18311703

lmao

www.auctionstealer.com

Don't whine about it get in the game and use the right tools, bidding wars are stupid

I would never bother with an ebay bid without. Its just dumb NOT to use it!! Its not cheating either....geesh

It's not cheating but it's call Auction "Stealer"? Okay. I suppose if OJ said he cut his wife while shaving by accident you would call it a case closed mystery.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/18311718

Because he does not know enough about speakers to figure it out but he posts like he knows everything. He is stuck on the THX, blah, blah stuff and he thinks MTMs are the only way to get limited vertical dispertion.

You have a better design that matches the recommended spec?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerDE /forum/post/18311815

Maybe your neighbor read your first post and decided to outbid and out"loud" you.

My neighbor already plays his thumpin bumpin stuff next door sometimes. I don't complain. You should mind you own biznutz.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 /forum/post/18311814

It's not cheating but it's call Auction "Stealer"? Okay. I suppose if OJ said he cut his wife while shaving by accident you would call it a case closed mystery.

I hate that, i use to use one of those things but i ran out of free snipes so i quit using one. Now i just do the buy it now thing.

I thought e-bay had some system setup though that if you bid early in the auction you get a few seconds after the auction closed to place another bid? Maybe that was just some kind of a trial thing?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 /forum/post/18312332

I hate that, i use to use one of those things but i ran out of free snipes so i quit using one. Now i just do the buy it now thing.

I thought e-bay had some system setup though that if you bid early in the auction you get a few seconds after the auction closed to place another bid? Maybe that was just some kind of a trial thing?

That would have been nice. It would have saved me some trouble. Ebay is easier and not a pain in the butt and has far less risk. Now I'm going with my secondary option. I am buying a pair from a private seller on Craigslist out of another state. I will be mailing a money order to a residence I will confirm he lives at then when he receives the money order I will arrange for UPS to pick up the speakers from his house the next day. This helps limit the chances of being snookered and worked for me when buying my Cambridge Soundworks sub (except with my sub I used Paypal instead of a money order).

·
Registered
1,721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/18311718

because he does not know enough about speakers to figure it out but he posts like he knows everything. He is stuck on the thx, blah, blah stuff and he thinks mtms are the only way to get limited vertical dispertion.

+100

1 - 20 of 35 Posts