AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizcell  /t/1523562/a-class-amp-vs-ab-class-amp-diff#post_24510200

A Class Amp VS AB Class Amp diff. ?
go to "ehow.com" and type in amplifier classes, in the search box.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Without me going onto wikipedia, a class means they're always on.

So a class A Krell amp 1000W monobloc will use 1000W electricity under idle, with no load connected, or under use

Class AB would have much lower power usage, probably 50-100W idle.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizcell  /t/1523562/a-class-amp-vs-ab-class-amp-diff#post_24510200

A Class Amp VS AB Class Amp diff. ?

Yes they are different! Read here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amplifier

More specifically http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amplifier#Power_amplifier_classes

Several highly credible authorities (Cordell, Self) have pointed out that the lowest distortion in SS amplifiers is obtained by optimizing the bias of a Class AB amplfier. This carries with it the implication that Class A amplifiers are not only a waste, they are also suboptimal.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1523562/a-class-amp-vs-ab-class-amp-diff#post_24510867

Without me going onto wikipedia, a class means they're always on.

So a class A Krell amp 1000W monobloc will use 1000W electricity under idle, with no load connected, or under use

Class AB would have much lower power usage, probably 50-100W idle.

You should have gone to Wikipedia.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
You don't want a Class A amplifier.

They put out excessive heat, are very inefficient, are ridiculously expensive for what you get, and the sonic advantage over a good Class AB amplifier is very doubtful.

As a matter of fact, most high-quality Class AB amplifiers operate in Class A 90% or more of the time because of the way they are biased. They only operate Class B momentarily on the loudest peaks of the music.

If you want advice on buying an amplifier, you need to say what speakers you will be driving and how much money you can contemplate spending.

Then it will be possible to recommend some good choices.

·
Registered
310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1523562/a-class-amp-vs-ab-class-amp-diff#post_24511092

You don't want a Class A amplifier.
Neither you, nor anyone else are in a position to make a statement like this without knowing any facts about the OP intended use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1523562/a-class-amp-vs-ab-class-amp-diff#post_24511092

They put out excessive heat, are very inefficient, are ridiculously expensive for what you get, and the sonic advantage over a good Class AB amplifier is very doubtful.
True they run warm when they are on, but when I had my ksa-200s, I wouldn't say that the heat it produced was excessive. The heat a PS3 or direct tv box puts out was/is excessive in my opinion, but no one ever bothers to mention those. They are not "ridiculously expensive" if you shop around or pick one up second hand. They are big though.
Quote:

the sonic advantage over a good Class AB amplifier is very doubtful
sounds like an opinion.
Quote:

If you want advice on buying an amplifier, you need to say what speakers you will be driving and how much money you can contemplate spending.
The OP was pretty clear in the 8 or so words that they used...and wanted to know the differences between the two types of amplifiers. No where did he mention requesting advice on purchasing one, so there was zero need to describe anything about their environment. A request for more info would have been warranted had the OP indicated this was the case.

As far as posting dollar figures...I am seeing more and more that this is often a tactic exploited by some members (not saying you) to bully an individual because they feel that the equipment the poster is intending on buying or has bought is not a good value in their eyes. Lastly, we know very little about the OP. Their last name could be Getty...and they could have $100M in the bank...we have no clue, so it is wrong to jump to these conclusions without at least some additional details.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Nothing wrong w/Class A amps. I have 3 in my system.2 modified Threshold T-50's and a Forte 4A. They give me all I need to run my system. The only problem I've had w/them was replacing the on/off switches. They get warm but not hot. If you want hot get a Pass Labs Aleph. By the way most of today's Class A amps run much cooler. Coda Technologies 5.5 is an example. Both Class A and A/B designs can do a great job. If you get a chance demo both types and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I have onkyo 929 and jamo thx d 600 speakers but dont like music sound ( I am a Musicion playing 5 instrument ) cinema is nice but not perfect d 600 lcr have sub bas problems allways subwoofer working to help them for sub bas sound and the problem is i want the subwoofer sound to maximum and only work private effects but need to 40 hertz to  LPF for dont listen extreme much sound when helping other speakers if do it 40 hertz speakers dont have sub bas ......  and i bought a kef q900 mounday will be at home i will use it at my fronts but i think to go to buy a Denon pma 2020 25 kg for kef for music...  for cinema onkyo 929 front preamp out to denon for kef speakers  and I asked the question  is the denon pma 2020 A class or ab class ? and how much true idea .. all person writing different idea ... onkyo 929 have a stereo proccessor but how it better than a stereo preamp ..  I can buy ab class rotel 1582 (17 kg ) power amp to 929 pre out but which idea is logical ?? 2x200 8 ohm that i dont need 200 watt .... 50 watt enought i think ... rotel damping factor is 1000  but why 2*80 8 ohm denon is 25 kg ? some musical equipmant in the amp ? i think it will be very very better than 929 stereo processor with rotel power amp ?

And What is the Class of Denon PMA 2020 ??  A or AB or B ? i have read too much forum about A class sound quality better ... but amplifer manufacters dont writing it allways a secret .. i know krell A class and extreme expensive mcintoch extreme expensive too ..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts