AVS Forum banner
421 - 440 of 786 Posts

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #421 ·
I've added another set of optimized patches to the first post, basically the same set-up as the 2500 set but in sizes ranging from 2000 to 10000.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP  /t/1517849/a-comparison-of-3dlut-solutions-for-the-eecolor-box/420#post_24463970

zoyd

Will the Lumagen 3d mini run those patch sets? Or patch sets in general from LS?

Should do

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP  /t/1517849/a-comparison-of-3dlut-solutions-for-the-eecolor-box/420#post_24463970

zoyd

Will the Lumagen 3d mini run those patch sets? Or patch sets in general from LS?

yes, the Mini is controlled by LS, so as long LS can read the patch sequence the Mini will display the patches...

·
Registered
Quadruple Stack w/ JVC RS2000/N7| Runco Q750 | DPI M-Vision Cine LED | Benq HT9050
5,731 Posts
Can someone clarify something for me. I was going to purchase an eeColor box this week. I called spectracal to make sure it works with the new versions. I was told that Calman doesn't support it anymore. Anyone using the eeColor and Calman? I hope he wasn't correct because I want to run a 3375 lux on my projectors

·
Registered
162 Posts
I use the latest version of calman and it works, but not happy with the result, but cant deny it COULD be due to the hdmi output from my laptop

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120  /t/1517849/a-comparison-of-3dlut-solutions-for-the-eecolor-box/420#post_24470034

Can someone clarify something for me. I was going to purchase an eeColor box this week. I called spectracal to make sure it works with the new versions. I was told that Calman doesn't support it anymore. Anyone using the eeColor and Calman? I hope he wasn't correct because I want to run a 3375 lux on my projectors

CM and the eeColor (former colorbox) have been a disaster forever....

get LS or try Argyll....

- M

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike  /t/1517849/a-comparison-of-3dlut-solutions-for-the-eecolor-box/420#post_24470103

CM and the eeColor (former colorbox) have been a disaster forever....

get LS or try Argyll....

- M
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120  /t/1517849/a-comparison-of-3dlut-solutions-for-the-eecolor-box/420#post_24470034

It absolutely works.

We've been working hard on our LUT technology and the EE and ColorBox have gone through the wringer recently. We no longer sell the Colorbox, that may have been the issue. If you could PM me who you talked to I can make sure they get their information corrected.

You won't find better results in an easier to use package.

Just look at the first post where we outperform LS. Faster, more accurate, easier and cheaper. Hard to justify spending money on anything else.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACappo  /t/1517849/a-comparison-of-3dlut-solutions-for-the-eecolor-box/420#post_24470091

I use the latest version of calman and it works, but not happy with the result, but cant deny it COULD be due to the hdmi output from my laptop

Laptops frequently compress their output to just video ranges. So we think the output is 0-255, but it's actually 16-235. That will seriously throw off the process as our corrections we write to the box won't line up with the signal.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #430 ·
@sotti - Does 5.3RC2 have any improvements over the version I tested (5.2.3.1416)? Also, has the calibration to 100% been fixed? Only 109% worked when I tested.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti  /t/1517849/a-comparison-of-3dlut-solutions-for-the-eecolor-box/420#post_24470304

We no longer sell the Colorbox

I do.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti  /t/1517849/a-comparison-of-3dlut-solutions-for-the-eecolor-box/420#post_24470304

Just look at the first post where we outperform LS. Faster, more accurate, easier and cheaper. Hard to justify spending money on anything else.

where does CM outperform LS in the first post ?

·
Registered
17,407 Posts

Quote:

It absolutely works.

We've been working hard on our LUT technology and the EE and ColorBox have gone through the wringer recently. We no longer sell the Colorbox, that may have been the issue. If you could PM me who you talked to I can make sure they get their information corrected.

You won't find better results in an easier to use package.

Can the user define their color patch sets and run them through Calman?

Can the video forge HDMI handle the patterns?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti  /t/1517849/a-comparison-of-3dlut-solutions-for-the-eecolor-box/420#post_24470664

ur max is higher, ur avg is higher... the dE distribution looks a bit better, but then again as was stated already he did not use the best out-of-the-box solution that LS offers, which is a 21^3 (and obviously that's not by far the best LS can do)...

and when he used his custom patch set in LS, the results were very similar to Argyll...

In any case, I'm glad CM produced any usable result at all, over one year later after the company had advertised the sw is "working" with the eeColor...

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #436 ·

Quote:

CalMAN pushed more of the random patches below 1 dE than LS @17^3, but with a better profiling patch set LS measured almost the same distribution as Argyll.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd  /t/1517849/a-comparison-of-3dlut-solutions-for-the-eecolor-box/420#post_24470820

CalMAN pushed more of the random patches below 1 dE than LS @17^3, but with a better profiling patch set LS measured almost the same distribution as Argyll.

Sure, but you can crank the number of points up in CalMAN as well. Not to mention we are also working on new distribution sets as well as other approaches to optimize the calibration process.

The CalMAN 5.3 final release has some optimizations that improve grayscale performance, in a few weeks we should be demoing some tech we aren't quite ready to talk about yet.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP  /t/1517849/a-comparison-of-3dlut-solutions-for-the-eecolor-box/420#post_24470674

Can the user define their color patch sets and run them through Calman?

Can the video forge HDMI handle the patterns?

At this point we aren't doing user definable patches, we are working on something that might be a more elegant solution than that. Of course if custom sets are the best way to handle the issue we could implement them swiftly.

All the VideoForge products support setting patches by triplet, so they can be used with our VirtualLUT technology.

·
Registered
249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike  /t/1517849/a-comparison-of-3dlut-solutions-for-the-eecolor-box/420#post_24470757

ur max is higher, ur avg is higher... the dE distribution looks a bit better, but then again as was stated already he did not use the best out-of-the-box solution that LS offers, which is a 21^3 (and obviously that's not by far the best LS can do)...

and when he used his custom patch set in LS, the results were very similar to Argyll...

In any case, I'm glad CM produced any usable result at all, over one year later after the company had advertised the sw is "working" with the eeColor...

Unless i am missing the point here, but zoyd also did not use the best out-of-the-box solution that Calman offers either. If i read his first post correctly, a 785 point LUT was used in Calman. So considering the points measured, IMO Calman does a pretty darn good job.

For an apples to apples comparison, the cube sizes should at least match. My .02

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1forsnow  /t/1517849/a-comparison-of-3dlut-solutions-for-the-eecolor-box/420#post_24470998

Unless i am missing the point here, but zoyd also did not use the best out-of-the-box solution that Calman offers either. If i read his first post correctly, a 785 point LUT was used in Calman. So considering the points measured, IMO Calman does a pretty darn good job.

For an apples to apples comparison, the cube sizes should at least match. My .02

yes, and I'm not sure what the upper limit is, but all reports that I have seen from other people (using larger sets) it took so long they had to abort the calibration or it wasn't working at all...

so, if one can share reports or results of larger patch sets being processed in CM that would be great !

421 - 440 of 786 Posts