AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I got the DVD-2200 at Ultimate Electronics and their 3 year service plan, because the DVD-2200 has a one year warranty and if the DVD-2200 needs a repair after one its going to be expensive. Thats why I got the service plan.

I got my DVD-1600 two weeks ago from Crutchfield. I sort of liked the DVD-1600, but I felt there was something missing from the DVD-1600.

The Comparison

This comparison is done with a 36 inch SONY HDTV and a Yamaha Surround Sound System.

Price I paid

DVD-1600 - $319.99

DVD-2200 - $539.99

Picture Quality

DVD-1600 has very good picture quality, while the DVD-2200 has better picture quality.

Sound Quality

Both have good sound quality, the DVD-2200 has better sound quality. I have not compared the DVD-Audio sound, just only sound coming out from my receiver.

Features

DVD-1600 is more like an entry level dvd with features. It has no time remaining on movies, no screen saver.

DVD-2200 has more features than the DVD-1600. It has no screen saver, it has no auto resume when the dvd player is turned off.

Build Quality

DVD-1600 has above average build quality.

DVD-2200 has very good build quality.

Conclusion

Both dvd players are very good and offer the best value in their price range. My DVD-1600 is going to be shipped back to Crutchfield tomorrow and I am going keep the DVD-2200, because for $220 more I get SACD along with DVD-A, better picture quality, and better build quality.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The Denons seem to remove advanced features like they are trying to make it simpler to use, but I prefer the extra features. If you compare the RP82 with the Denon DVD-1600 (essentially the same models) you will see the features Denon removed - the RP82 for example has a time remaining display option added. Similarly the new Denon DVD-1200 is like the new Mitsubishi DD-8040, but the Denon removed the 4:3 windowbox mode for 16:9 displays while the Mitsubishi enabled it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Kage; Im am waiting for a delivery of this, but the shop won't have it here, in Denmark till October, so could you answer this?

Does the tray make a lot of noise when playing DVDs/Cd's?

Startup time and Menu selection? ( like the 2900 or the 3800 ?? )

How is two channel CD sound?

Regards

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by kris7
Im am waiting for a delivery of this, but the shop won't have it here, in Denmark till October, so could you answer this?

1) Does the tray make a lot of noise when playing DVDs/Cd's?

2) Startup time and Menu selection? ( like the 2900 or the 3800 ?? )

3) How is two channel CD sound?

Regards
1) The tray does not make much noise at all, unless the dvd player is very hot.

2) The startup time is above average, I'm not sure how fast it is on the 2900 or 3800.

3) Two channel cd sound sounds good.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ThumperBoy
The Denons seem to remove advanced features like they are trying to make it simpler to use, but I prefer the extra features. If you compare the RP82 with the Denon DVD-1600 (essentially the same models) you will see the features Denon removed - the RP82 for example has a time remaining display option added. Similarly the new Denon DVD-1200 is like the new Mitsubishi DD-8040, but the Denon removed the 4:3 windowbox mode for 16:9 displays while the Mitsubishi enabled it.
The 2200 is based on the 2900 right? I know the 1600 1200 and 910 don't windowbox. But I believe the 2900 does and wonder if the 2200 does.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Quote:
The Denons seem to remove advanced features like they are trying to make it simpler to use, but I prefer the extra features. If you compare the RP82 with the Denon DVD-1600 (essentially the same models) you will see the features Denon removed - the RP82 for example has a time remaining display option added.
A little OT, but for the record, this is not an entirely correct statement. The Denon 1600 is based on the Panasonic RP56, not the RP82. The RP82 was technically the model year after the RP56/Denon DVD-1600 and is also based on the RP56. If you can try an RP56 or even look at its manual, you'll see that, for example, neither unit has a time remaining display and their remotes are identical. It's not that Denon removed features from the 1600, rather Panasonic added features to its next model run with the RP82. This also explains the flicker bug that was present on the RP56 and early-production 1600's. Denon shut the CCS off during mid-production and then provided a firmware upgrade to shut off the CCS for anyone who had an earlier 1600 and wanted to do so. The RP82 had the CCS turned off from day one. The 1600 and RP82, however, do share the same Faroudja chip and Panny MPEG decoder so they are essentially the same models.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Why did Denon turn that damn CSS back on for their newer models (DVD-910 and DVD-1200)? Can't they release a firmware upgrade to turn it off for them too? These newer models have the color flicker problem because of this, also the high frequency response is much worse compared to the DVD-1600, resulting in a softer picture on the new models. I heard the new models also have an inferior Mitsubishi MPEG decoder too.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Alexander
The 2200 is based on the 2900 right? I know the 1600 1200 and 910 don't windowbox. But I believe the 2900 does and wonder if the 2200 does.
According to user's manual, no 4x3 squeeze on the 2200. 2900 has it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.