AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been searching for a software/hardware system that is capable of unifying all my local media and let me access them with ease. I know about various products like Plex, Kodi, etc, but none of them were good enough for me. I am looking for something that can do following:

1. Scan/monitor all my electronic devices for media (movie/music). The devices can include laptops, desktops, smart phones, tablets.
2. Allow me to search them easily, no matter where they are located.
3. Show me useful information about the movie/music. This includes things that are usually shown in sites like IMDB. (Some examples are plot, rating, director, cast, poster, length, language, etc)
5. Allow me to play any movie or music on a device of my choice. For example, I may like to watch the movie on the TV in the living room, but media may be located in a desktop in my room or in one of my tablets. (lets assume they are running). I would also like to switch the playing device while it is being played. For example, I might want to switch to play it in the TV in my room later.
6. If I can watch these movies while away from home, it would be great. (Assuming my data package is good enough).
7. In an ideal world, it should even turn on/off my TV as well. All these has to be done through a single smart phone app, so that I don't have to touch another remote.
8. Sharing my media with other family members is great, but I need to have protected content as well.
9. If possible, give out control signals, so that I can control equipment in my dedicated home theatre.
10. I should be able to control this system through internet. This is useful when I want to play media to people who are not capable of controlling this by them selves. (For example kids)

Does anyone think this type of complete system exist?

·
Registered
693 Posts
My setup pretty much covers your requirements, but it is more than one device.

My media server is a QNAP TS-853 Pro NAS (8 drive bays, quad-core Celeron, 8GB DDR3) running Plex Media Server. This allows me to access all of my local content (music, movies, TV shows, photos, audio books, concerts, etc.) from anywhere with Internet access. I use Roku boxes inside the house, but Plex also has clients for Windows, Windows Phone, iOS, Android, OSX, Linux, PlayStation, XBox, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and a bunch of other platforms. I cannot currently stream fully uncompressed Blu-Ray rips, because I do not have enough processing power to transcode them and current generation Roku boxes are limited to about 15Mbps. The new Roku 4 can handle 40Mbps, so that limit will go away shortly.

I have a quad-tuner Tablo off-the-air networked DVR, which has clients for Roku, Amazon Fire TV, iOS, Android and HTML 5. This gives me access to any programming broadcast in my area anywhere that I have Internet access.

I own a huge library of UltraViolet and Disney Movies Anywhere titles that I mainly access through Vudu. The UV movies are shareable with others (within limits) and I share my library with my parents and my sister's family. Quality is not quite Blu-Ray, but is better than just about any other streaming service. Options for fully uncompressed Blu-Ray quality downloads are available from Kaleidescape and soon through other vendors.

The center of entertainment in my home is Roku. I can access Plex, Tablo, Vudu, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Pandora, Spotify, YouTube, Vevo and a handful of other subscription and free channels from anywhere in the house any time via a very simple user interface. This system is very stable and low maintenance.

The last piece is the Harmony remote control system I just bought that allows me to control my PS3, Roku, TV and receiver with one simple remote programmed with convenient activity-centric macros.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I have never seen anything capable of what you are looking for....you want it to aggregate ALL the media that is across ALL of your devices? Not going to happen.

Bill

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Short answer: No, or at least not cheaply.

Long answer: You're looking for something custom. The biggest hurdle I see is the scanning of everything for media. It'd first require that security be wide open on those machines, and then how would it differentiate between something like a system/program sound/video and media content for sharing? And then how would it determine what's 'protected' content?

Then you're looking at the automation factor with turning TVs on/off, and controlling your home theater gear. This could be done with programming something like iRule, but that's going to be a significant time investment to get it to talk to everything

Then there's the question of what media player(s) and media server(s) are going to be compatible with what—you're now looking at a rather beefy media server to transcode to every possible device.

If a Kodi-based homebrew install has left you lacking, IMHO, your only other option is checking with a Crestron installer.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
@Haywood Jablomi
OK, that sounds interesting.
Is your system capable of discovering/monitoring media in devices such as tablets, desktops apart from the ones in you NAS?
Also, how do you control it? through a remote or through a smart phone app?

One thing I really don't like to do is to key in characters using an on-screen keyboard.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have never seen anything capable of what you are looking for....you want it to aggregate ALL the media that is across ALL of your devices? Not going to happen.

Bill
Yes, that's what I am looking for. The reason is, I do not really like to copy these files to the central server all the time.
I guess I can use a file sync program for this purpose however.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Short answer: No, or at least not cheaply.

Long answer: You're looking for something custom. The biggest hurdle I see is the scanning of everything for media. It'd first require that security be wide open on those machines, and then how would it differentiate between something like a system/program sound/video and media content for sharing? And then how would it determine what's 'protected' content?

Then you're looking at the automation factor with turning TVs on/off, and controlling your home theater gear. This could be done with programming something like iRule, but that's going to be a significant time investment to get it to talk to everything

Then there's the question of what media player(s) and media server(s) are going to be compatible with what—you're now looking at a rather beefy media server to transcode to every possible device.

If a Kodi-based homebrew install has left you lacking, IMHO, your only other option is checking with a Crestron installer.
I knew about Plex, I had their premium subscription too for a month, but it really did not work. I have not heard about Crestron installer, will check that. thanks.

·
Registered
693 Posts
@Haywood Jablomi
OK, that sounds interesting.
Is your system capable of discovering/monitoring media in devices such as tablets, desktops apart from the ones in you NAS?
Also, how do you control it? through a remote or through a smart phone app?

One thing I really don't like to do is to key in characters using an on-screen keyboard.
As long as the media is in a folder with an addressable network path, Plex can monitor it. Just keep in mind that it will only work if the device is on your local network. I'm not sure why you would want to do that though. It makes more sense to keep all of your media in one place and then either stream it or synchronize it to your mobile devices. Plex does both. If you have it on your Plex server, you can download a copy to your device any time (if it is a mobile device such as a tablet or phone).

·
Registered
693 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
My system involves some compromise, mainly that I sacrifice perfect Blu-Ray quality. The advantage is flexibility and ease of use. I can access everything from anywhere and I can do it easily. I did not get into my automated acquisition of television content via Usenet, due to forum rules (PM me if you want to know more about that). Suffice it to say that I can get anything I want and make it available anywhere, though I spend a fair amount to do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts