AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subject says it all. I've been trying to eBay a Realistic Analog SLM forever and always get outbid. I can get the digital one in Canada, but even in the Radio Shack outlet it's still $89. The other day it occured to me Sound Forge has a dB window open by default, as I'm sure other programs do. Why can't I just hook up a directional mic in my seating position and adjust the speaker levels based on the sound programs dB readings. It may not get things reference level, but it should match the levels better than I can do by ear, no?

How does one setup the sub levels correctly anyways? Is that the real reason for a SLM?

I remember spending some coin on a calibration DVD with a blue filter after using the free THX Optimizer and going by eye. It turned out I was dead on (or in the case of hue, the factory settings where). The DVD in the end was a waste of money, and of course I couldn't return it once it was open. Sometimes I feel the same thing will happen with the sound level meter.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm not familiar with Soundforge, but I am a user of other PC based sound recording and measuring programs. I think you've hit on the key issue, you could tell relative SPL's, but if you wanted to measure actual SPL's you'd need to calibrate the set up with an external meter.

Are you sure the meters on Soundforge are not VU meters?

I don't think you'd want a directional mic, most RTA's, SPL meters, and analyzers use omni-directional electret mics.

In any case, you could use this set up to do a decent job of evening out levels, but not calibrating to reference levels.

Let us know how it works.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mysphyt

I don't think you'd want a directional mic, most RTA's, SPL meters, and analyzers use omni-directional electret mics.
You definitely don't want to use a directional mic. Directional mics have a farily steep roll-off on the low frequencies. You also need to be careful with omni mics because there are often two different varieties... free field and nearfield. Free field omnis have a high frequency bump in them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.