AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, long time , no see AVS! I just picked up an Infocus X1 and I like it so far although I cant say the picture is a whole lot better than my old Fujitsu XGA LCD unit, upon inital viewing anyways, buy I did see a few things that could have potential so I am sure that in the end it will have a better

picture. I found out after about 2 hours of viewing what a rainbow is, I have very good vision but I am sure that I can train myself not to be bothered by these, I would much rather have these rainbows then dead pixels. Dead pixels are what killed my Fujsitus unit anyways because I ended up going inside the unit to try and deal with them and ended up ruining it. Dead pixels drove me nuts!!

Ok I only got the unit last night and I did not do alot of research before picking it up, the price and a few threads were enough to sell me on the unit so I have alot of archives reading to do.

For now though I would appreciate if you guys could answer a few of my inital questions and concerns.

1. What is the best way to view DVDs thru this unit? Do I need a progressive scan player and component cables? If I need the cables

then which is the better cable?

Also how do you use the faroudja processing? ...Is it used when using a progressive scan DVD player via the composite > svideo adapter or when using a non progressive player via the svideo?

2. There are a few marks on the inner side of my outer lens, I cannot see them when the unit is off nor can I see them on the image but I dont like them. Can I take the outer lens off for cleaning or is it possible that I am just seeing a few impuritys that are in the outer lens that only the super bright projector lamp is able to show?

3. The build quality is not impressive at all, it looks like it costed less than $100 to build, the 5 year warranty is reassuring though so I wont worry to much. How is Infocus in terms of tech support and repairs? Can I expect that if something does go wrong with the unit that Infocus will make good?

4. I read a few threads that say that Infocus has added 4000 hour bulbs to a few later units and also possibily removed the Faroudja processing.

How do I know if my model has the 4k bulb? As far as I can tell , my unit was shipped from Infocus on 8/20/03 so must be a fairly late model.

Thats all for now.

Thanks

·
Registered
271 Posts
1) The faroudja chip is only used for interlaced signals. Depending on your DVD player, if it is progressive, will depend on if you want to feed it interlaced or progressive. Some cheaper DVD players don't do as good a job as the projector of making the signal progressive.

4) All X1's are capable of 4,000 hours. All that was changed was the counter. They have not removed the faroudja chip yet on any X1's, just rumour so far.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mr. Mago.

My player is an old school Pioneer 525 which was produced before progressive players were available for the masses, I sold my better player awhile back.

I think the Pioneer via the Svideo looks good but better would be nice....

edit: actually I am experiencing some scrolling lines with my current set-up, I rechecked the connections and eliminated the ground but to no avail.

Next I will try is a different Svideo cable...right now I am using the one that came with the unit.

Honestly I have been in HT long enough to know what satisfies me, I dont really need to "audition" 200 units to find the perfect one so how about a few "quickie" DVD player /cable scenarios that might look good on my X1?

Thanks

:D

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Your best bet is to buy a new DVD player. Running Svideo is acceptable, (80% quality) but only that. Component interlaced is better, about (90%) and best is Progressive Scan Component Out on good DVD player. I don't think APEX counts.... Also I hear Home Theater PC is sometimes better than Progressive scan Component Out... I have not tried HTPC yet.

Personally I use a Sony 5 disk Component Player.. The one at Best Buy/Circuit City for about $180. I like the convenience of having more than one disk at a time to play... Wife plays with some, then I come along and plays with some.. etc.... Then you can start where you left off when you come back....

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Edward, actually my unit does have component outputs so for starters I will pick up a component > svideo cable and see what that does.

I also called Infocus and had a good 10 min chat with tech support, I was very impressed with the amount of knowledge the person had as well as the quality of the service itself. Good service is worth its weight in gold to me. He told me to return the unit because a smudge or scratch on the inside of the lens is not something that i have to expect with a $1000 unit.

I have to say that I am more happy with my projector purchase now then I was this morning. I see a long life for this unit in my little HT.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.