AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. I would have guessed not... Is there enough overscan (on most sets) to obscure the black bars that would otherwise show up on a 1.77 HD direct view when watching a 1.66 or 1.85 movie?

Is direct view overscan pretty easily adjusted or eliminated?

What's the consensus: Do you guys like overscan? Or would you prefer small black bars on the sides for 1.66:1 and top & bottom for 1.85:1?

One more: Why do HD direct views come with overscan? Is it burn-in concerns and/or dislike of "black bars"? Or are there other reasons?

Thank you very much in advance

-Tim

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Typical overscan on most sets is 5% on all sides. Since 1.85:1 films would have 7% black bars, 5% top and bottom is more than enough to hide it.

Usually ditto for 1.66:1 on the left and right. But may see a sliver of black depending on ho well the TV is centered.

Overscan is adjusted in the service menu and you usually have some latitude, but you quickly see why the 5% is the target. Any less ... and you start seeing the limitations of the consumer grade tube design. Geometry problems being to appear that simply cannot be fixed.

Add to that, too little is not good either since you quickly find out that not all DVDs and TV material is centered as well as you'd think. You will see video garbage and black bars and what not on the edges.

Why ... see above. These are consumer grade tubes. If you want data grade tubes at this size ... please add $2000 to the price of your TV.

Regards

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hi Michael!

Do you know how to access the service menu for the RCA F38310? Another question, if you do not mind: how can one become an ISFer? Is there a course or course of instructions? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
As a point of reference, not only can you adjust the overscan, etc. via some TV's "service menu" settings, but if you have aspect ratio controls (like my Princeton does), you can *intentionally* make one of the geometry settings "expand" to where a 1.85 DVD has no black bars; of course, this would leave the 2.35 black bars visible, but definitely smaller. I do this for DVD's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.