Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by NewMember:

Also, would I need two inputs from my elliptical dish; one just carrying my normal programming, and one carrying just the HD programming; i.e. will I need to run a second cable from the elliptical dish into my receiver, in order to get HDTV?

To answer your question, you wouldn't. You would however need to run all 4 cables into a multi-switch that puts the 2 satellites on 1 cable. This also allows you to connect your dish to up to 4 other receivers. The multi-switch should come with the receiver and dish, but there are different kinds. The two main ones are a 4X4 and a 4X2. The only difference is the 4X4 gives 4 outputs, and the 4X2 only gives 2.

------------------

Mitsubishi WS-55805

RCA DRD515RB

Pioneer VSX-D608

Pioneer DV-C302D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi everyone,

As I am new to these forums, I hope I am posting my questions in the right place.

1) I am considering taking the HD plunge; thus far I have been investigating my DirecTV upgrade path. Now, the only HD DirecTV receiver I see, is the RCA DTC-100. So, does this mean that if I want HDTV from DirecTV, then this is my only choice for a receiver? I ask because, this model seems pretty dated; the only HD output is VGA. Would this not significantly reduce the number of options I have for a television to purchase? It seems to me that most HD capable TVs, are using only component inputs for HD signals? Can someone please elaborate on this for me? Also, would I need two inputs from my elliptical dish; one just carrying my normal programming, and one carrying just the HD programming; i.e. will I need to run a second cable from the elliptical dish into my receiver, in order to get HDTV?

2) If I wanted to record a show from a HDTV channel onto a VHS or SVHS tape, would the show be watchable? Does DirecTV encrypt the HDTV signal somehow that would prevent recording? Note, I am aware that I would lose a ton of resolution in doing this.

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I am still very new to the world of HDTV. I would appreciate hearing from anyone out there who could help me with these questions.

Thank-you in advance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.