Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all

I've had my RCA UTV up & running for a couple of weeks now. It got its 3.5 upgrade a few days after I first installed it. I couldn't be happier with the performance...the feature set is very well suited to my needs.

Just a couple of questions I haven't seen dealt with in this forum...I apologize in advance if they've been covered elsewhere:

-Is there any advantage to turning the unit off when not in use? Does the hard drive eventually spin down? Does the fan stop running? Does it go into any kind of standby mode? Also, what would happen if I attempted to turn it off while it was recording?

-Is there any way, short of signing on to the internet through the UTV box, to get the red "mail" light to stay off? It's annoying, and I'd rather collect my mail messages through my broadband internet connection.

ES

·
Registered
56 Posts
1. Actually even though it is off technically the hard drive is still powered up... this puts less wear and tear on the mechanism..

2. no... you have to sign onto the service in order to stop mail delivery.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EShapiro
-Is there any advantage to turning the unit off when not in use? Does the hard drive eventually spin down? Does the fan stop running? Does it go into any kind of standby mode? Also, what would happen if I attempted to turn it off while it was recording?

-Is there any way, short of signing on to the internet through the UTV box, to get the red "mail" light to stay off? It's annoying, and I'd rather collect my mail messages through my broadband internet connection.
Here's my 2c worth on your questions:

- I think of the UTV as having 3 modes: On, Standby, Off. Off is only acheived by removing power to the box -- i.e., pulling the plug. Off is sorta like a reset on a PC -- you won't lose any options settings, but you will lose all Guide data (the Guide will immediately start rebuilding). On is, of course, full power with the tuners operating and pictures coming out of the cable :). What the remote and front panel call "off" is really a type of Standby mode. In this Standby mode the disk is spinning and the processor is running software. From my admittedly limited understanding, during Standby mode you can receive software updates (like v3.5) and there may be some other things taking place. I've read that some type of "cleanup" takes place while in this mode dealing with disk recovery (I've always assumed it was doing some type of defrag or similar operation).

- If you try to turn off the UTV (that is, Standby mode) while it is recording, you will be asked to confirm that you want to Stop Recording first. If you don't confirm, the off request is ignored.

- If you get the red "mail" light, then your UTV is connecting during the night to check email. You can turn this off, but you have to connect to MSN-TV (WebTV) first and find the option where you change the dial-up time. That's where you'll also find the option to turn this feature off completely. You can't turn if off at the UTV, you have to turn it off at MSN-TV. Search the forum and you'll find several threads with more detailed information if you can't find the option.

Enjoy.

-TJ

·
Registered
171 Posts
On this topic, here are a couple questions for clarification. I thought I read somewhere on this forum that the UTV had to be turned off in order to do its maintenance (defrag or whatever). Is this really true? Does anyone know for certain? I would just as soon never concern myself with the on/off switch (the AT&Tivo I returned didn't have an off switch), but since I read that post (or at least thought I did) I have been taking care to get the UTVs turned off a couple times a week.

Second, when I got my AT&Tivo I got a small 100 Watt UPS for it. However, it kept the TV listings in it and didn't lose them with the power outage. I only got the UPS to avoid losing an ongoing recording during a short power outage. After I returned the AT&Tivo and got my 3 UTVs I have had the wife's UTV on the UPS. It sounds like since the UTV loses the guide info, it would be more worthwhile to invest in a UPS for all my UTVs?

·
Registered
96 Posts
1). I'm not sure that defragging is really necessary as most of the files created are very large.

2). I would always suggest a small UPS for your electronic devices.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.