AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already got a Elite Screens Manual Pull Down Screen, 16:9 Aspect Ratio-120in - M120UWH screen. It's Matte White Screen with 1.1 Gain.

I went to Best Buy and rented a Epson 8350 for a couple of days. I do all my viewing at night in a total dark room. However my walls are fake wood paneling with a bit of reflective gloss on them and the ceiling tiles are white.

I was impressed with the image quality except the black level performance. I didn't feel it had good contrast and it looked a little gray to me. I don't know if it's mostly some of the light bouncing in the room off the walls, carpet and ceiling or mostly just the projector + white screen.

I was thinking about just spending the extra money and upgrading to the 8700. As from what I've read it has better black levels.

However, would it be even be possible or even beneficial to try and paint that Elite screen with that special gray paint that is available? Would a darker screen help bring out better blacks for night time viewing?

I'm thinking of just holding off on buying the 8700 until I make sure there is nothing new coming in the next couple of months. Which is fine because it will give me time to get everything in order for a screen installation.

Which brings me to another question? I'm not going to be able to wall mount or ceiling mount this projector giving the length of the room. I will want to place it behind the couches on some type of high mount stand that will also hold a receiver, Xbox 360, etc.

Does anyone know what I can order that would fit the bill for this?

I can update this later to include room size. I've uploaded a couple of pictures to show you the room. Pictures were mostly taken with flash on to catch reflective light. Low quality as taken with camera phone.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1012782...514711/DropBox

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeCourtney /forum/post/20862170

I've already got a Elite Screens Manual Pull Down Screen, 16:9 Aspect Ratio-120in - M120UWH screen. It's Matte White Screen with 1.1 Gain.

I went to Best Buy and rented a Epson 8350 for a couple of days. I do all my viewing at night in a total dark room. However my walls are fake wood paneling with a bit of reflective gloss on them and the ceiling tiles are white.

I was impressed with the image quality except the black level performance. I didn't feel it had good contrast and it looked a little gray to me. I don't know if it's mostly some of the light bouncing in the room off the walls, carpet and ceiling or mostly just the projector + white screen.

I was thinking about just spending the extra money and upgrading to the 8700. As from what I've read it has better black levels.

However, would it be even be possible or even beneficial to try and paint that Elite screen with that special gray paint that is available? Would a darker screen help bring out better blacks for night time viewing?

I'm thinking of just holding off on buying the 8700 until I make sure there is nothing new coming in the next couple of months. Which is fine because it will give me time to get everything in order for a screen installation.

Which brings me to another question? I'm not going to be able to wall mount or ceiling mount this projector giving the length of the room. I will want to place it behind the couches on some type of high mount stand that will also hold a receiver, Xbox 360, etc.

Does anyone know what I can order that would fit the bill for this?

I can update this later to include room size. I've uploaded a couple of pictures to show you the room. Pictures were mostly taken with flash on to catch reflective light. Low quality as taken with camera phone.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1012782...514711/DropBox

Yes, I would wait until after CEDIA so that you know what choices are available. With your set up you will have to have a projector with lens shift. There are a lot of AV racks that will be tall enough for setting a projector on for right behind a couch. You might have some problem with the IR signal getting to any equipment below couch level, but there are several solutions for that problem. When you are ready to start shopping, give us a call.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.