AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been slowly learning and lucking into an almost great configuration. But the ideal ATI 7500/driver/OS/PowerStrip/multiple monitor setup is still eluding me. Let me explain where I am and where I'd like to be.

I had an Elsa GeForce2 which worked fairly well and accepted virtually any resolution I set with PowerStrip under Win2K. But I wanted a better picture and dual monitor support so I could run a computer monitor and an RPTV simultaneously. So I replaced the GeForce2 with the ATI 7500.

I've tried all the ATI drivers under Win2K (which has pretty bad dual monitor support but I'd prefer to stay with) and WinXP (which I installed to see if the dual monitor support was better). The latest 6071 drivers seem to accept the most custom resolutions from PS and also handle the dual monitor/different display (non-clone mode) better than the other versions under Win2K.

What I am finding is that WinDVD 2.6 works fine under any resolution but PowerDVD XP's performance is marginal. Playback of motion is not smooth with a resolution of 720x480 but seems to be at 1440x480. Why is this and what can I do about it? I prefer the picture and sound of PowerDVD XP and would like to be able to use it.

Since I can't seem to set my monitors at different resolutions I would rather use 720x480 which is more readable. Is there a way to get different resolutions for each monitor under Win2K? That's what I'd like the most. PS only sees one adapter unlike its behavior in WinXP where it recognizes both the VGA and DVI output as separate adapters.

I guess that's it for a start. Am I missing some necessary registry tweaks? Do I have to tweak the custom settings in PS (I'm using the built-in HDTV ones)?

It's frustrating to be so close to having just what I want but not quite being able to get there. Thanks so much for any help!

·
Registered
14 Posts
First of all I love this card.

I will try to help...

My setup ati7500 dual display primary display Sony 21" [email protected]

secondary Samsung 55"HDTV 1920x540p60hz

1.Hook up transcoder or other monitor to second display

2.enable secondislplay

3.disable plug and play monitor info (no ddc) for both displays

4.change both monitors to sony w900 inf setups

5.Now install powerstrip

6.add all custom resolutions(hdtv) to the "primary" display in powerstrip (the denoted with "*" )reboot (note..you must add to primary)

7.change setting for primary display to required resolution(1024x768 etc)

8.now go into powerstrip select secondary display and try some of the custom resolutions you added from line 6 i recommend 1920x540standard hdtv

9.it should work now ...but you will only be able to display dvd play back on the primary display...except if you use win dvd it will allow you to drag the dvd window to the secondary display and use both at the same time

P.S..oh if you upgrade the ati drivers you are back to square one so remember your settings

hope this helps...oh running windows xp

·
Registered
645 Posts
I cannot help you with the PowerDVD issue, but I may be able to save you some time with the dual display problem: under Win2k, its not possible to drive the two monitors at different resolutions and color depths - period.

Microsoft's multimonitor support in Win2k didn't encompass multiple monitors from a *single* controller, so there's no native OS support for this - you need XP. (Matrox did eventually come up with a proprietary Win2K solution, but its unlikely ATI will follow suite since XP resolves the problem.)

PowerStrip simply follows Windows here: if there are two logical monitors (which there are under XP, but not Win2K), you get two different sets of controls over the hardware driving those two monitors. If there is only one logical monitor (in Windows Display properties > Settings), PowerStrip only gives you control over one. It can *see* the secondary hardware, but since its not being driven by Windows, best to leave it alone...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.