Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My framing and wiring complete, I'm ready to insulate and drywall. My theater is in the basement and I took the apropriate steps to prevent mold and the like.

In choosing insulation, I'm leaning toward owens-corning R-13 kraft faced for the 2X4 walls and Owens-corning "quiet zone" acoustic batts in the joist space above a standard drop ceiling.

My question is since the floor joists are 2x10, Would I be better off using some generic (and less costly) r30?

Anyone have an opinion on the quiet zone performance?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I'm pretty sure the quiet zone stuff has been discussed before. Do a search and you will find responses from the pros.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
i'm afraid i don't think i have anything concrete to say on the topic...

would the r30 be considerably thicker?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have much the same build in a basement as well. I used the Corning RC19 between the joist (pushed to the top ie under the first floor) this allowed for an air gap that further helped attenuate the transfer. I used 30 in different places but found the air gap more beneficial than the 30 filling the 2X10 gap. I also added a layer of AcoustiBlok sealed at the bottom of the joists followed by resilient channel and 5/8s drywall to finish off the ceiling. I'm not a pro but this worked very well. I have only the RC19 in other rooms of the basement and you can hardly hear the top floor being walked on and I have wood floors on the first. If you have any plumbing over the theater you have to apply a second layer of RC 19 under it to deaden the water noise to the HT. I rerouted mine a different way to get it out of the area. Also if you preran in ceiling HT wiring keep the speaker cables away from any video connections this killed me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Toxarch
I'm pretty sure the quiet zone stuff has been discussed before. Do a search and you will find responses from the pros.
Actually I did search..and found a few posts were it was discussed..

My question was if anyone had ACTUALLY used it.

To everyone else, thanks for the info.

I've read alot about "compressing" the insulation and reduceing the R value, etc. All the threads were using DW for the ceiling but I need to use a drop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.