Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A daunting task, but…

OK the E80H can now be had for around $500 and is within my budget. Here’s my plan for justifying the expense and I’d appreciate the feedback of all you experts. I’ve read the threads and howtos, downloaded and read the manual, but I realize there is nothing quite like actual hands on

experience, so your comments are quite valuable.

Phase I: Get rid of all those VCR tapes! I’m talking many years worth of accumulated commercial movies on tape and a multitude of mishmash recorded from live TV. We have about 50 movies and perhaps another 150 various recordings.

1. After hooking up a VCR feed to the E80H, I just want to start feeding tapes for HDD record without actually sitting there and viewing.

First question: Does the E80 sense blank tape and just record populated portions?

2. When the HDD fills up, go into edit mode and remove the fluff like previews from commercial movies, remove commercials from TV recordings and then burn to DVD-R. Keep repeating this process until all those tapes can be stored in the basement where they belong.

3. Create sticky labels for slim jewel cases for each DVD based on the menu generated by the recorder. I don’t want to risk using DVD labels or writing on the media itself.

Phase II: Hook up the E80H to our DirecTiVo so that whenever we record something to the TiVo we can then also record to the E80H HDD by simply choosing the “Save to VCR†option when viewing the saved program if; and only if, we want to keep the recording permanently.

Second question: I’m not quite clear on how the DirecTiVo, E80H and TV should be cabled.

When we want to edit stuff stored on the E80H HDD and prior to burning onto DVD-R, I assume we should simply go from DirecTiVo to E80H to TV so that most of the time, the E80H will just be a pass through and doesn’t even need to be powered on until we are actually saving to it and, of

course, editing the content prior to burning. Is this a correct assumption?

You should understand we will never want to record live TV to the E80H since the TiVo does this job beautifully right now.

I apologize for my rambling, but does this make any sense?

Halleluiah! No more VCR tapes ever again.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by alert5
First question: Does the E80 sense blank tape and just record populated portions?
Short answer: No.

If you have 2 hour tapes (or 3 or 1, whatever), however, it is easy enough to start the tape and then do the one touch record for 2 hours (I have done this and come back to the house a little later with no problems). I can't answer your second question as I don't have a TiVO and as far as the commerical movies you have on VHS, we can't discuss how to copy those on this forum.

Have fun with your new toy!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I knew this would be a learning process, but I'm confused by your answer. Can't we just load up the HD, then edit the stuff that is there before starting the DVD burn process? Most of our live stuff is half hour and one hour and we'd like to fill each DVD-R to the max.

I understand some; if not all, of our commmercial tapes are copy protected and that's OK. A bit paranoid though. We just want to archive for our own personal use, not start some kind of mass production of illegal material. But I guess that is another whole can of worms.

Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Quote:
...First question: Does the E80 sense blank tape and just record populated portions?...

Second question: I’m not quite clear on how the DirecTiVo, E80H and TV should be cabled.

When we want to edit stuff stored on the E80H HDD and prior to burning onto DVD-R, I assume we should simply go from DirecTiVo to E80H to TV so that most of the time, the E80H will just be a pass through and doesn’t even need to be powered on until we are actually saving to it and, of

course, editing the content prior to burning. Is this a correct assumption?

You should understand we will never want to record live TV to the E80H since the TiVo does this job beautifully right now....
You may want to investigate a Pioneer unit, as they have something called 'automatic record" which will pause the recorder upon absence of video.

Connect your sources by S-video for best PQ. Connect the output by composite. S out will not work as well (search the forum).

I would not recommend against recording direct to the DVDR/HDD. Unless you have DirecTivo, you can avoid a second encode step and get better PQ that way (be sure to use HS dub for DVD's). Otherwise you are encoding twice.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Quote:

2. When the HDD fills up, go into edit mode and remove the fluff like previews from commercial movies, remove commercials from TV recordings and then burn to DVD-R. Keep repeating this process until all those tapes can be stored in the basement where they belong.

course, editing the content prior to burning.

Just a few answers:

- don't fill up the HD too much, see the thread about reformatting every once in a while; I try to keep 5 hrs SP empty as my preference

- i'm sure when you say basement you mean appropriately climate controlled ;)

- there are many options on how to hook things up, I had only 1 S vid on my tv and did it this way but if you have more than 1 S vid you can modify as necessary
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=349807

- keep in mind the E80 is not a pass thru except for the RF cable. You need to keep it on all the time or use switches or have enough inputs on your TV.

regarding another question perhaps a search of 'facet' may help you but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Quote:
I knew this would be a learning process, but I'm confused by your answer. Can't we just load up the HD, then edit the stuff that is there before starting the DVD burn process? Most of our live stuff is half hour and one hour and we'd like to fill each DVD-R to the max.

Yes, I talking about recording to the hard drive. I start my hard drive recording for 2 hours and then do something else. Most of my 8mm home movies were 2 hour tapes.

Record to the hard drive, edit and organize then burn to DVD-R or DVD-RAM.

Sorry for the confusion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.