AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 50" Mitsubishi slim line rear projector has thrown in the towel.

I have been trying to determine how to dispose of it.

As it happens I have an idle 1270 sony projector.

So the question occurs, could I use the sony as a rear projector onto the 50" screen?

I would need to bounce it off a mirror, and the one included in the Mits seems too small.

Pros? Cons? Suggestions? Comments on my sanity... go ahead.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I can't see why in theory this wouldn't work. The tricky part about RP always seems to be getting a screen, which you're all set with. The deal breaker may be trying to get a 50" image out of the 1270. I was able to push my 1000Q this small, and it really put out a nice bright smooth image at that size but it was pretty on the edge in terms of convergance. As others have seen, I did also observe some color imbalance (more red on the side with the red tube, blue on the side with the blue) due to the closeness of the PJ to the screen.

You should be able to try this out w/o the mirror, just by projecting into the back of the screen to see if you can get a decent picture before you get too far into trying to engineer the final solution.

Good luck, let us know how it goes

Rob

·
Registered
398 Posts
The 1270 could yield an excellent picture in an RPTV setup like that. Unbeatable for viewing with lights on. The screen is not the problem, it will work just as it does with the original CRT. The problem is that the throw distance of typical front PJs are much longer than RPTV sets. So, you need a very deep (or tall) cabinet +/or 1-2 mirrors. Calculate the throw distance for the 1270 to fill a 50" screen - plus the length of the PJ itself - to get an idea of how much cabinet depth is needed .

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.