AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I recently remodeled our basement with an eye toward improving our home theater experience. Carpeting, drywall, wall coverings and acoustic ceiling tiles (along with our new JBL Cinema Propack 600 II -- a dubious choice amongst several of the members of this forum, I'm aware....but no problems so far...)

The sound was absolutely incredible and I was totally convinced that I didn't need to calibrate our speakers with a SPL meter. Only trouble was..i I started to notice a bit of listening fatigue after about an hour of watching a movie. So, after reading a few threads dealing with the meter, I went to Radio Shack yesterday and plopped down the 35 bucks for the analog meter.

What a shock!!! I found that I was running all the speakers much too hot... The center speaker was much too loud....the surrounds were running too hot (with the right surround needing to be balanced different than the left)...and, of course, the sub farrrrrrrr too hot.

After tweaking the system with the meter, I watched my usual demo materal, marveling at the difference in the sound quality and ......no more listening fatigue! Even my wife, who is not known for her audio knowledge, noticed the difference.

So -- to all you who are still on the fence about buying a meter -- Run, don't walk to the ole Radio Shack! Your ears will love you for not trusting them....and your wife just might give you a little credit for being a Home Theater Addict...

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
hi

could you elaborate, what method did you use to calibrate using the SPL meter? did you just use the "noise" tone? if so, what did you use on your meter as the baseline? by that I mean, at what level on the meter did you calibrate to?

any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used the DTS tones on the "Sound & Vision" calibration disk. Setting the master volume control to a comfortable listening level (around -20), I set the meter for 70db. I then set the individual speaker levels so that the meter read somewhere in the area of 75db, which I understand is reference level for film soundtracks. It was amazing how different the individual speaker levels were before I calibrated them...so much for trusting one's ears.

This weekend I will be tweaking a little more....maybe trying a different approach. But, for now, it's hard to imagine my system sounding any better!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
thanks for your reply...

i'll try it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.