1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking for a device that can

1) stream Netflix video: This is easy, just go to Netflix Instant Devices

2) stream movies from a PC or a NAS device on my home network. All my movies are either in AVI or .ISO format.

Any device comes to mind? Ideally, I don't prefer to pay yearly fees for devices such as Xbox Live or Tivo. The LG BD 390 has a MyMedia feature and is on the Netflix instant devices. Can this device do the above?

Thanks

Srinath

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have a roku and really like it. I also have a Tvix box (THEY SUCK)

I wanted to get a new box that might do what the tvix should do and take over for the roku as well, have it all in 1 box. Then I would move the roku into the bedroom

I posted on several builders sites to see if any of them would support the netflix streaming, in the near future or maybe they were at least thinking about it.

I never got an answer.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinathalapati /forum/post/16939819

Hi,

I am looking for a device that can

1) stream Netflix video: This is easy, just go to Netflix Instant Devices

2) stream movies from a PC or a NAS device on my home network. All my movies are either in AVI or .ISO format.

Any device comes to mind? Ideally, I don't prefer to pay yearly fees for devices such as Xbox Live or Tivo. The LG BD 390 has a MyMedia feature and is on the Netflix instant devices. Can this device do the above?

Thanks

Srinath

HTPC running boxee is the only thing in existance that will do what you want within one program.

Sean

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm using a Netgear NAS on my network and a Netgear EVA 9150. It will stream AVI and ISO format movies. Using any of the latest beta's, it supports PlayOn on any PC on the network. So when I want to stream from Hulu or Netflix I simply leave the PC running.

Another alternative is to use an HP Widows Home server (if you want a NAS instead of an HTPC). On the other end you will need something that supports DLNA, probably an NMT. There are a number out there which should work and do both.

Alan

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
IMO Playon is highly unusable... its extremely buggy. Have tried lots of version of the last year and they are all very unstable. not even remotely close to the roku box for netflix or even boxee which is still buggy. I dont consider it a viable option at this time but everyone should expirement and decide for themselves...

Sean

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the problem with Netflix PC streaming is non-HD. I should have stated that in my original email. My apologies. The Roku and most other devices stream HD. Now whether there is a perceivable different or not, I don't know. My display is a Panny 720p projector.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinathalapati /forum/post/16948601

I think the problem with Netflix PC streaming is non-HD. I should have stated that in my original email. My apologies. The Roku and most other devices stream HD. Now whether there is a perceivable different or not, I don't know. My display is a Panny 720p projector.

Huh, I have no idea what you just said....

Playon sucks whether its HD or SD....

The roku just works whether its HD or SD..... same with the LG BD PLayer and the Samsung BD PLayer and the TIVO.

Netflix streaming works very well playon does not. but the users should make that decision for themselves....

Its easy for a playon user to potentially blame others for the problem but we you have a roku on hand and when play on fails you immediately try the roku and it works and you;ve done this over a dozen times the real problem starts to become evident.

Sean

·
Registered
278 Posts
I disagree with your assesment of PlayOn. I have had very few problems streaming Hulu or Netflix since the very early versions. I have used it to stream to a DLink DSM-520 and more recently to the EVA9150. Most of the problems I have observed have been with Hulu when they change their systems. Netflix has just worked for the past 9 months or so.

I believe what srinathalapati is refering to is that you can't get HD via PlayOn. That's a negative, but not a big issue for me.

Alan

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

I will try one more time
I was replying to a suggestion to use HTPC. If I use HTPC, I only get SD quality from Netflix, right? Netflix streams HD to Roku and all the other devices. I could be wrong on this info.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I believe you are correct - currently, Netflix will only stream "HD" to select hardware boxes like Roku, xbox 360, Tivo's, etc.

I'm seriously considering getting a Roku, especially as it looks like 5.1 sound will arrive at some point and with the news that they're going to be adding more "channels".

I've been looking for a way to replace satellite, but it really doesn't appear there is one good solution for everything I want to do.

Right now I'm leaning towards a SageTV setup with their extender boxes to cover DVR functions and future steaming of ripped DVD's, and perhaps getting a Roku to handle Netflix streaming. I'd rather have one box, but both of these boxes are small at least.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.