AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goal it to design a game room specifically for my PC. My name is John and I'm addicted to PC gaming. Instead of trying to combat this deadly disease, I have chosen to embrace my passion with a room dedicated to PC gaming.

My real problem is a complete lack of design creativity. That is why I am posting here. I need help with design tips/hints/ideas for a dedicated PC gaming room. My wife has given me an 8x11 room for this purpose. This room is a blank slate just waiting for a design.

Here is a link to a basic floor plan for my room.

I need links to places or other tips on where I might get design ideas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm thinking something like those specialty gaming cage type apparatus that wraps around you. I had drawn one up a few years ago around what would be described as a dental chair. Monitors and speakers will be mounted to something similar to a drummers kit with controllers to the side on the armrests. There are companies that design and manufacture setups like this, if I can find one online I'll post a link.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think those are called Personal Computing Environments . I have seen these and while they are cool looking, I think they are too one dimensional. However if could afford the Emperor I would get it in a heartbeat.

When you start talking about being in a reclining position and being on the computer, the angle of the monitor and keyboard/mouse position become problematic. For simplicity I think I will stick with a traditional chair setup. Besides, this is my chair and it is very comfortable.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Do you plan on playing on a monitor, tv, projector? I think thats the most important thing because you need to build around viewing device. What about sound? Computer speakers hooked up to your pc or something more extravagant? Do you care about acoustics?

If I were a pc gamer (not sure why I built a computer capable of gaming) then I would probably just use a desk, comfortable chair, big monitor, bass shaker on the chair, and pc speakers. Paint the room a nice color, put in adequate lighting, add a few decorations and call it a day. Add a desk or two if you have friends come over to play and you should be ready to go.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I agree with the above.

If youa re doing FPS then there really is a limitation on how big you want your screen to be.

If you are a flight SIM guy then you will want to get crazy with monitors all over the place.

Design around conveniance. The biggest problem is having to get up and leave the room while playing right? Put in a soda machine. Put in a toilet :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do plan on playing a fair amount of FPS. My main game at the moment is an MMO. Flight sims to me are a novelty so I wont need multiple monitors to simulate an immersible cockpit environment. However I find that I like how the new Eyefinity looks. The main drawback for me are the monitor bezels; I just cant get past they look!

Its funny that you mention the display because I was thinking about my experience when I moved from a 21" CRT to a flat panel. There was a noticeable difference between two. The flat panel had tears, jaggies, and ghosting when playing any game where you have fast perspective changes. My current 24" monitor does not have any of these issues with the exception of a small amount of tearing which I don't notice much anymore. But then again, it has taken many years of flat panel technology improvements to get to this point.

I hear that a plasma is the best match for large screen FPS gaming. Is this correct? Either way, I planned on going with a 46" LCD/LED/Plasma on a wall mount.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I play WoW regularly on a 24" monitor and that is really too big for me. I usually have my WoW windows covering about 80% of the screen. With the amount of mouse movement needed in the game you just don't want all the space to be moving across.

I think I will probably upgrade to 2 23" widescreen monitors side by side. Game on one side and keep IE, Outlook, etc open on the other side.

I think it would be tough to play this game on a 46" screen.

I bet that would be good for driving games though. Anf FPSers... since you are controlling the dude in he middle of the screen and not necessarily having to click or point at crap all over the screen.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bigger than 22-24 inches is too big IMO. You want something where you can see the entire screen easily without having to look around...otherwise you'll miss details. I game on a system that has 2 monitors with the main monitor being 23", while the second (and third) is 20".

I think the main problem with your initial floorplan is your seat position would be ideal...but your desk position isn't. With that desk position you'd be sitting no more than a foot and a half to two feet away. If you have a monitor that big you'll want to be closer to 4-5 feet away. Mount the monitor on the wall but move the desk away...or extend it out to meet where the chair is at now.

I got the chance to setup my own little computer room recently when I moved into my new apartment...here's the floor plan with speaker placements.

I don't claim the speaker placements to be ideal or anything...I'm just happy to get the 5.1 system setup. Never had a full 5.1 system setup...and never had all three monitors lined up next to each other. My previous computer setup forced me to have one of the monitors on another desk. Much more room now so I can play with it a bit. You might miss it but I positioned a mini fridge below one of the tables to the left of my chair (as I sit in it)...the fridge is there...but due to power requirements on my computer room...I can't quite hook it up. I learned the hard way how much power I have running through that room's circuit...I popped the circuit breaker after leaving a small ceramic heater plugged in for about an hour. I'll probably give the fridge a go sometime in the future after I increase the load capacity in the room. Being in an apartment I rent is...problematic.

My ideal setup would be triple 24" monitors on my gaming rig. I like the look of the Eyefinity stuff too...though I wish nVidia would do their own version...not a big fan of ATI anymore after I had a $500 card crap out on me 2 months after the warranty expired.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since I have been gaming on a 24" monitor for the past 7 years, I figured it was time for an upgrade. I have several friends who have 42" Westinghouse TVs as monitors and they look great.

The floor plan is something I threw together so I am not married to it at all. I have a nice wall mount so I figured that whatever desk that I use must be close to it. One thing I learned from my HTPC on my 62" DLP is that while the icons look nice from 15' away, the text font had to be huge for me to read anything. Now I know I will not be that far away but if I mounted my new monitor on the wall, I would need to be somewhat close to read text at a reasonable font.

After thinking about this setup all weekend, I decided that I will need multiple monitors. I am having fits thinking about what I will do with the walls. At first I though some type of sound proof paneling would be nice but now I'm not sure. After looking at many HT threads, I noticed that paint might just be all I need. Did I say before that I lack even the slightest creative bone in my body...

In the next few weeks I hope to have the room ready for some initial setup. Right now it's full of boxes from the move. My main concern now is what to do with the walls, and what type of desk. Whatever desk I choose must be adjustable, or have an adjustable section for my keyboard and mouse. My initial searches on this type of desk have been less that fruitful.

I will have pictures of the bare room which should help with my descriptions sometime in the next couple of weeks.

So here are my current requirements/thoughts
  • Wall mount 46" TV
  • Desk with adjustable KB/Mouse area
  • Wall panelling or Paint?
  • Second, possible third monitor

1 - 9 of 9 Posts