Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a dilemma here-

I was thinking about getting a HDTV, however, as you all know, HDTV is still very expensive (the one I want is about $1500). In addition, I still need to get a progressive scan DVD player. I told a friend of mine about my problem, he suggests that I get a HTPC instead.

After a few days of intense research, I’ve narrow it down to two setups -

>>> HTPC ($1000)
Progressive-scan DVD player & a Key Digital KD-CTCA2

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
1) Most folks here believe that an HTPC will outperfom - or at least not underperfom - a standalone player. If you search through all threads you can see many of the reasons.

2) How about just updating the vid card in your current setup?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Salmoneous,

How about just updating the vid card in your current setup?

Well, I'm a part time animator (to help me pay my college tuitions), so I need it for my work.

What about a DVD player with VGA output? I've already done some preliminary research on this, but it seems there's only one out there that has it -- Daewoo DVG-9000N. :(

Anyway, back to the topic...

So what you're saying is that a HTPC should perform at the same level as a progressive-scan DVD player, if not better?

w.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Is the video card AGP or PCI? If it is AGP, then you might try a PCI video card and switch between them. It might mean a dual boot, one for work, and one for play :)

HTPC should perform as well if not better than a Progressive Scan DVD player because the DVD player is usually (I have see posts on exceptions) limited to 480P. The HTPC can scale to other resolutions that might be more appropriate to your display.

I have a XGA projector, so 768 x 1024 progressive is 1.6 times more resolution that the DVD player. The argument sometimes comes because displays (like my Projector) have internal scalers. Some are good, some are not so good. Mine is not so good, so using a HTPC is much superior (in Picture Quality) to the DVD player.

Ease of use is another issue all together.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the video card AGP or PCI? If it is AGP, then you might try a PCI video card and switch between them. It might mean a dual boot, one for work, and one for play

Interesting...

BTW, I just found out that Samsung is introducing a new DVD player, DVD-HD931, that converts regular DVD discs to high-quality definition (720p, or 1,080i). In addition, it also features a DVI connection. I'm probably going to wait till that DVD player come out before I make my decisions.

Thank you all for your helps,

w.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.