AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
No, why would it be 8k at 250 lumens?

My JVC does that at full brightness.

Like I said, I think you are having trouble with what is being discussed here.
ive asked you specifically if 1% changes when adjusting the iris and you said it doesnt or only slightly, every graph of every jvc ever shows that it doesnt change. literally right here, aperature open 8.6k:1 aperature closed 8.9k:1. what am I missing?

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,016 Posts
I guess this guy has a unicorn then? He does have a Klein meter.

Low lamp mode
iris open 25996:1
iris -7 47948:1
iris -15 121990:1
Ansi Contrast 249:1

High lamp mode
iris open 26658:1
iris -7 62466:1
iris -15 134856:1
Ansi Contrast 249:1
Ye, he for sure is. We talked about it many times. He also measured full spec dynamic contrast out of the NX3000 and so far he is the only one in the world that has reported here and has come anywhere close to those numbers.

·
Registered
8,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
i dont understand how thats relevant when i have an oled in the house, are you going to tell me that dilas 100nits white to 0.01 nits black at 1% adl is comparable to oleds pure black? Every time I mention the color performance, pixel response, lack of a color wheel, high ansi contrast, single panel, and uniformity makes for high contrast, highly detailed, dimensional video, and... repeating myself... qualities that lcos and even oled dont possess, the only response is "but my on/off and big screen".
A gross generalization. I would appreciate if you did not make out like I am stupid.

you seem a little aggravated with my repeating myself for different audiences, but it seems ive yet to properly impress upon you the superior video quality of this specific projector or optical engine. If you get an lsp9t youll have a better idea, just turn off xpr, double its native contrast, swap out a $4,000 lens, and use madvrs dtm+the 3dlut and youll have an idea.
You have definitely impressed it upon me, ad nauseum.

and look im sorry if me saying i prefer the mico to your jvc and quantifying the technological differences between them in an unbiased and objective manner got under your skin. for what its worth if you look at the big picture dmds are used in everything from pico projectors to pinnacle video to terahertz imaging systems, meanwhile there are a couple new lcos projectors a year or every other year with modest improvements, and it turns out the best use for lcos is fourier transform light steering in a dlp projector. Eventually dlp will surplant lcos at our price bracket in the one aspect that lcos has superior image capability, so just enjoy the look of polarized liquid crystal and dont worry about my personal preferences for objectively superior video performance in every aspect except for lowest adl contrast ratio. Just a friendly jab, right?
When did you have my JVC in your stack? That was the question, what projectors have you had there at the same time as your mico?

let me just get this out of the way, because frequently persons who express interest in dlp(or oled it seems) are wittled down and all the forum is left with is a jvc echo chamber. you personally have done this too me a couple times now, youll contradict me when i say the mico has objectively superior pixel delineation and that ansi contrast has an observable impact on image quality, twist my intent of posting a photo about xpr to slandering jvc, say the single panel sharpness and higher ansi contrast of the panasonic are noticeable compared to the jvcs, say the eclipse cant be used as a reference to the mico but than say the panasonic looks comparable to the eclispe... not so friendly, just confusing. on this forum its observable over and over this type of gaslighting and condescending false contradictions, and it baits people into over reacting and leaving the forum or getting banned. We're not friends, i dont know you, so when you say something slanderous thats all it comes across as. look at the people hanging out here advising people on the ins and outs of projection day after day, they repeat themselves constantly, its how forums work, so if you take issue with me expressing my elation with a singular unique projectors performance for as many people as possible, just put me on ignore, because I have no intent of silencing or stifling myself.
all and all it should be obvious that if the projector doesnt provide the light output for your desired screen size its not worth considering, but its worthwhile to me to express the fidelity of this machine to persons interested and willing to compensate image size to accommodate it, or at least what to look for or hope for in the future of projection.
You are just imagining all of this... Go and read my posts again. The Panasonic is pretty good, but if you kept reading you will see that at the very same time I brought it WAY back down to earth, it just CANNOT compete with the JVC overall image. Using the eclipse passing off without labels as your own is like me saying the Bugatti Veyron is better than an Audi S4, you really need to compare things in the same universe.

You also post rubbish blurry images and think its fair, its simply not. Even Ekki got absolutely roasted on here for posting blurry bad photography, it does not stand. I called it out as very bad photography, if I can photograph the pixel grid easily on my JVC even with eshift on, and I cannot see it at all in the images you posted, either that N7 was toast, or the photography sucked, thats all I said, I told it like it was, take it or leave it.

ive asked you specifically if 1% changes when adjusting the iris and you said it doesnt or only slightly, every graph of every jvc ever shows that it doesnt change. literally right here, aperature open 8.6k:1 aperature closed 8.9k:1. what am I missing?

View attachment 3043378
I think the more pertinent question is what is your point? Why is 8k:1 at 1% @250lm significant to you when I am telling you it will also do it at 2000lm?

What is the point here? You are so absolutely fixated on 1%, why is that. You keep quoting yours is dynamic, then you should probably look where this particular JVC is doing 16k at 1% then. Being a bit picky?

·
Registered
8,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Ye, he for sure is. We talked about it many times. He also measured full spec dynamic contrast out of the NX3000 and so far he is the only one in the world that has reported here and has come anywhere close to those numbers.
Maybe they nuked it with frimware then? I swear multiple people measured 100k on that machine...

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,016 Posts
Maybe they nuked it with frimware then? I swear multiple people measured 100k on that machine...
It seemed like the neutered the dynamic contrast with one of the FW updates. One of the original firmwares was measuring around 750K:1 dynamic but then a firmware "fix" came out and it only measured around 250K:1 and its been that way ever since. The guy you posted above still measured 1mil:1 dynamic after that. No one else was...

·
Registered
8,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
It seemed like the neutered the dynamic contrast with one of the FW updates. One of the original firmwares was measuring around 750K:1 dynamic but then a firmware "fix" came out and it only measured around 250K:1 and its been that way ever since. The guy you posted above still measured 1mil:1 dynamic after that. No one else was...

Ekki measured 90k?

·
Registered
9,016 Posts
Ekki measured 90k?

That's very interesting. Did he measure dynamic anywhere? I guess that's 2 measurements of close to spec'ed native. This was widely discussed in the owners thread and there are many measurements none that came close except the one you found earlier. Arrow has measured multiple units multiple times and you've seen his charts.

·
Registered
8,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
That's very interesting. Did he measure dynamic anywhere? I guess that's 2 measurements of close to spec'ed native. This was widely discussed in the owners thread and there are many measurements none that came close except the one you found earlier. Arrow has measured multiple units multiple times and you've seen his charts.
Actually I dont think he has actually measured a 'functioning' one, he doesnt even have a review of it for that reason at least when I looked earlier, he has space for one, but its blank. He has indeed measured at least a couple IIRC, but I dont think any of them he would call acceptable, he sent them back.

Its interesting Kris only measured 50k something, but at the same time, his contrast measurements are usually on the low side for whatever reason. Aside from those two, who else measured around the 50k mark? I see a lot of wide open measurements, not many full native conditions.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Back again to the good old JVC black level argument. this never gets old :)

·
Registered
29,706 Posts
LOL WTF? It's been measured several times and is never anywhere near this. Sometimes I think we need to ditch the marketing talk and discuss reality.
I am discussing reality. JVC has been pretty straight forward with their contrast claims. Now I can't use my projector with iris at -15, due to light output, but for someone with a small 1.3 gain screen or even a large 2.8 gain HP screen they could for SDR content and get around 100,000:1.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
You also post rubbish blurry images and think its fair, its simply not. Even Ekki got absolutely roasted on here for posting blurry bad photography, it does not stand. I called it out as very bad photography, if I can photograph the pixel grid easily on my JVC even with eshift on, and I cannot see it at all in the images you posted, either that N7 was toast, or the photography sucked, thats all
see thats exactly what im talking about, i posted that photo to compare xpr dlp to native dlp. thats it, i wasnt considering the jvc at all. keep it up cool guy. whatd you say about reading comprehension? classic projection...

I am discussing reality. JVC has been pretty straight forward with their contrast claims. Now I can't use my projector with iris at -15, due to light output, but for someone with a small 1.3 gain screen or even a large 2.8 gain HP screen they could for SDR content and get around 100,000:1.
You hear that guys a 100,000:1 1 pixel measurement at 250 lumens and 8,900:1 at 1% adl woweee

I think the more pertinent question is what is your point? Why is 8k:1 at 1% @250lm significant to you when I am telling you it will also do it at 2000lm?

What is the point here? You are so absolutely fixated on 1%, why is that. You keep quoting yours is dynamic, then you should probably look where this particular JVC is doing 16k at 1% then. Being a bit picky?
because a 1 pixel measurement is not indicitive of any content and 1% adl is. because youre hounding me about the micos irrelevance due to its light output but a jvc at half the light output is acceptable because of a useless 1 pixel measurement.

yall are a joke.

·
Registered
29,706 Posts
see thats exactly what im talking about, i posted that photo to compare xpr dlp to native dlp. thats it, i wasnt considering the jvc at all. keep it up cool guy. whatd you say about reading comprehension? classic projection...

You hear that guys a 100,000:1 1 pixel measurement at 250 lumens and 8,900:1 at 1% adl woweee

because a 1 pixel measurement is not indicitive of any content and 1% adl is. because youre hounding me about the micos irrelevance due to its light output but a jvc at half the light output is acceptable because of a useless 1 pixel measurement.

yall are a joke.

View attachment 3043552
How is me giving you the specs giving you the right to call me a joke? JVC has for the last several years always listed max native contrast with iris closed. Unlike some manufacturers, JVC usually hits their specs. Just like Stewart hits their specs. You don't see either of them making up BS numbers.

Added
The single pixel measurement is used so that projectors can't cheat and use dimming. Pretty much required method for measuring native contrast on any laser projector.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
How is me giving you the specs giving you the right to call me a joke? JVC has for the last several years always listed max native contrast with iris closed. Unlike some manufacturers, JVC usually hits their specs. Just like Stewart hits their specs. You don't see either of them making up BS numbers.
if you're only response to me commenting on the mico is "not bright enough" but a jvc's 1 pixel 250 lumen measurement is valid for real world uses, that's a joke.

·
Registered
29,706 Posts
if you're only response to me commenting on the mico is "not bright enough" but a jvc's 1 pixel 250 lumen measurement is valid for real world uses, that's a joke.
There is SDR brightness and HDR brightness. While 250 lumens is the minimum number, 1,600/1,700 calibrated lumens is the maximum number. That is enough to make HDR work for many. 800 lumens max is not enough to make HDR work for myself or most (nearly all) of my customers. On my 110" wide 0.8 gain screen I would be looking at HDR brightness of 13.6FL, using a 800 lumen projector. Now I can't use 250 lumens in my system either, but there is nothing stopping me from opening the iris and getting enough light for SDR either. I just won't get 100,000:1 contrast.

Added
I was giving a spec and I told how they got that spec. Javs even gave you an approximation of the lumens at that iris setting. I never said anything about how valid I feel 250 lumens is? Very few people could ever use 250 lumens for anything.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
keep up the garbage arguments guys.

it's scorched earth with me, i'm utterly unphased and vindicated

·
Registered
8,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #78

yall are a joke.
Can we keep it respectful?

Dont you think your argument is a little hypocritical? You are allowed to talk about dimming measurements on your Mico every chance you get, just throwing numbers out there at random - which is why I pulled you up on it by the way, but the JVC cannot be talked about because it gets darker? Thats the purpose of it though? Then you should only talk about native contrast on your Mico which is what, 3-4k?. What lumens are you getting full dumming on? 20 lumens? Thats why I shotback saying no the JVC will do 8k:1+ at 1% even at max brightness about 16k:1 dynamic (mine is probably actually higher than this) and 43k on/off at full lumens no dimming whatsoever, thats something the Mico wont do, so your argument there is not sound to me.

We see content at 1% or under much more often than you think.

This is not about jvc is better, I just think you may be up in the clouds a little with your projector and your comments on here in every 2nd thread are getting a bit out of hand. Its clear you dont have any other high contrast projectors in your stack to compare. The comments about your projector not being bright enough are pretty valid, the max you are getting is 65 nits full tilt right? Thats barely enough for some peoples SDR preference. The bigger issue I took actually is that you are posting dishonet numbers and guesses and I notice every time thats why it got to a point when I aked you which is it?

The problem is really not you, its your numbers and assertions which I think need to be based a little more in reality.

·
Registered
29,706 Posts
literally one hour ago.
Yes it is useable, but for hardly anyone. The point you are missing, it is not the minimum number of lumens that is important. It is the max lumens that is important. You can solve the problem if you have two many lumens, by adding an ND filter, but you can't solve the problem, if you do not have enough lumens, you are just plain out of luck. So an 800 lumen projector would work for SDR, but it will not work for HDR for most of us.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Can we keep it respectful?
rich

just throwing numbers out there at random
my numbers are consistent, things vary with throw ratio, lenses, etc.

20 lumens?
from 550 lumens to 150 lumens, k thx

every 2nd thread are getting a bit out of hand.
i disagree, theres 10 pages of kris and mikes jvc 1 pixel garbage in the dlp thread, that was out of hand.

The problem is really not you, its your numbers and assertions which I think need to be based a little more in reality.
lies, false equivalencies. I've measured and scoured for professional measurements finding magazine articles and translated from italian, it's all consistent,. 3k native, 8-900 ansi, 15k dynamic, 550 lumens calibrated. on a 10 year old projector

The comments about your projector not being bright enough are pretty valid
duh... sheesh. "YOUR PROJECTOR IS DIM!!" It's utterly irrelevant in the context of what the projectors unique capabilities are, and only relevant to appropiately sizing the screen.

61 - 80 of 102 Posts