AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I tried to search the boards first but it was diabled.

So I was looking to buy an antenna that could pick up hd-tv signals in my area. I only need a yellow rating since all the stations are less than 10 miles away. I was considering the silver sensor but some of the channels are in vhf range (2 and 10). So I was wondering, Is there an antenna that I could buy that will give good vhf and uhf function indoors??? How about a double bow tie (e.g. terk tv25).

Thank You for the Help

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
The Terk is not a double-bowtie antenna, only Radio Shack has that. But the bowties are UHF only too. Are you sure you have some VHF digital channels? Most broadcast their alternate digital channel on UHF and just name the channel with a lower number, but its still really on UHF. What is your zipcode so we can verify the channel numbers?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just replaced the RS double bowtie with a RS VU-75XR UHF/VHF antenna. There was a remarkable improvement in reception. Both were mounted in the attic. It was olny $19.99 in radio shack.

- Nikhil

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DonBerg
What is your zipcode so we can verify the channel numbers?
Do me a favor and check 49501 and see if they have any digital on VHF. I need to be sure on this. Thank you.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Looks like zip code 49501 in Michigan has 3 VHF digital channels, including one in the low band channel 2 - that needs a real long VHF antenna! Also all are in the red zone, so you need a fairly hefty high gain antenna as well.

Here is the digital station list:

Digital Antenna Type Call Sign Channel Network City State Live Date Compass

Orientation

* red WWMT-DT 2 CBS Kalamazoo MI Now Live 168°

* red WOOD-DT 7 NBC Grand Rapids MI Now Live 162°

* red WGVU-DT 11 PBS Grand Rapids MI May 1 2003 271°

* red WXMI-DT 19 FOX Grand Rapids MI Now Live 165°

* red WOTV-DT 20 ABC Battle Creek MI Awaiting FCC Permit 164°

* red WTLJ-DT 24 IND Muskegon MI Awaiting FCC Permit 270°

* red WZZM-DT 39 ABC Grand Rapids MI Now Live 338°

* red WLLA-DT 45 IND Kalamazoo MI Awaiting FCC Permit 164°

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I went to terk.com and here are the specs:

Specifications:

Operational Bandwidth:

VHF: 54 MHz-216 MHz (Channels 2-13)

UHF: 470 MHz-806 MHz (Channels 14-69)

AUX: 54 MHz-1000 MHz

Output Impedance: 75 ohms

(75-300 Ohm matching transformer supplied)

Amplifier Gain:

VHF: 40 dB adjustable

UHF: 40 dB adjustable

Dimensions (with elements): 4-3/4"H x 25"W x 11-1/2"D

Is this not a vhf/uhf antenna???

Plus I have confirmed that channel 2 (NBC) and 10(CBS) are the two VHF channels (digital) in my area.

zip:44070.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The Terk 25 appears to be a stylized single bowtie. Since they apparently include the VHF band it must also work much like a simple dipole antenna (works like most rabbit ears).

A few months ago I saw several of those atop a number of sets at an a/v store near Charlotte . Apparently they did not work too well there; only one HDTV nearest the front door apparently could actually aquire and hold a DTV signal in what admittedly was a commercial building.

For $40 you might check out the Zenith branded Silver Sensor (Sears carries them) which has been reported to be a very good UHF antenna (not sure about the VHF portion). For VHF (especially Channel 2) you might need a regular pair of rabbit ears or possibly a larger combo VHF/UHF exterior model (say in an attic).

Bruce

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Yes, the Terk is a VHF+UHF antenna, but its not optimized for both bands. They don't specifiy the antenna gain on each channel like the better antennas show with a graph. In most cases, the gain on the upper UHF channels will be a lot lower if not specified. The Terk needs that big amplifier to make up for its weak passive performance. I have compared a cheaper $26 4bay bowtie with no amplifer compared to Terks ($50-100) with their amplifiers and the passive bowtie was better. You can use the Terks for strong VHF signals OK, but most likely rabbit ears would work too for that. All the digital stations for your zipcode are strong (yellow code) so most likely anything will work for your location - so go ahead and try the Terk first. You might want to locate it near where it can "see" thru a window to avoid walls from weaking or reflecting signals which might cause dropouts or pixelation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.