AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A fast-moving pilot last night for A&E's new series, based on a Danish TV show. The detective protagonist, played by Chloe Sevigny, is first seen breaking into a house and studying its sleeping occupants. A review by a Pittsburgh (series locale) journalist suggests why the opening break-in takes place .

Then a quick switch to the discovery of a body at a local metal plant. The irrational comments to Sevigny's character as she studies the scene by her male superiors ("there's no case here") was puzzling--until I recalled the similar initial episodes of another woman police officer: 1991's "Prime Suspect" lead detective, played by Helen Mirren. The plot in A&E's new series leaves no doubt about who the serial killer involved is, and brief clues hint at the dark past of Sevigny's character.. -- John

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I was really looking forward to this show, the pilot really didn't thrill me. Neither Sevigny's character or D'Arcy's character did much for me and I really didn't find anyone particularly likable. Usually I can tell by the first episode of a series whether or not I'll like it, but give it a few episodes to make sure

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like at least two episodes have been slated to solve the second serial killer investigation. Meanwhile, for most of the last night's show, detective Catherine Jensen (Chloe Sevigny) is depressed until she's cleared for shooting the first killer. Meanwhile her chosen forensic consultant, Thomas Schaeffer (James D'Arcy), plays a bigger role in the series. Again, a fast-paced shorthand writing/directing pace for the second episode. -- John

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Not surprised. The second episode was worse then the pilot. Can't believe A&E green lighted this show and left Det. Longworth laying bleeding to death on the floor of the dream house. I was going to wait until this week to make my final decision, looks like A&E made it for me.

Reactions: ltownsend

·
Premium Member
36,334 Posts
As is usually the case with these US remakes of Scandinavian dramas the original is substantially better. This one, while it has a good cast, was directionless and seemed unfocused on what it wanted to do.

If you're interested in this show, watch the original and forget this one.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Ripped from HOTP:

TV Notes

Benched A&E Drama Series ‘Those Who Kill’ To Air On Sibling LMN

By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - Mar. 25, 2014

Good news and bad news for fans of A&E‘s new drama series Those Who Kill, which was pulled two weeks ago after two low-rated airings. The good news: The series is coming back on the air staring this coming Sunday. The bad news: It will air on A&E sibling LMN TV (aka Lifetime Movie Network), not exactly a vote of confidence to the show by A+E Networks brass who kept the announcement of the series’ relaunch super low-key with a post on Those Who Kill‘s Facebook page. LMN, part Lifetime Entertainment Services, airs a mix of female-skewing TV and theatrical movies. It only began airing original series last fall with a handful of offerings in the nonscripted investigative/crime space. This will be LMN’s first scripted series. In what looks like a burn-off run, new episodes of Those Who Kill will air at 10 PM Sundays. The first original episode this Sunday will be preceded from 8-10 PM by rebroadcasts of the show’s first two hours that already premiered on A&E.

The A&E debut of Those Who Kill starring Chloe Sevigny drew a soft 1.4 million viewers, down from the series debuts of A&E’s Bates Motel (3 million) and Longmire (4.1 million) and holding onto less than half of its Bates Motel lead-in. The freshman’s audience dropped to 830,000 in the second episode. In adults 18-49, it drew a 0.5 rating for Episode 1 and a 0.3 for Episode 2. Despite the low ratings, A&E’s decision to pull the series drew strong reaction from fans, who rallied behind the show. At the time of Those Who Kill‘s suspension A&E indicated that it was looking to relaunch the show, which it is now doing but on a much lower-profile network. Said one of the first viewers to comment on the news on Facebook, “What the eff is LMN?”

http://www.deadline.com/2014/03/ae-drama-series-those-who-kill-to-air-on-lmn/

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
I've been watching the LMN episodes. I'm guessing the show wasn't bombastic enough for American viewers who like their episodes with exaggerated drama as to hit them over the head. The series just tells a story much as Europe TV series do. It is not a rehash of the European version but borrows on it conceptually.

·
Premium Member
36,334 Posts
I've been watching it as well and concur with your assessment, it's too bad A&E pulled it as I'm sure that means no chance for renewal. The show is actually not that bad, and the location shots are great, you just don't see a lot of that anymore in TV.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe LMN will pick up a 2nd season if A&E doesn't. Seems like a welcome change from most cop shows. Good production, too, although I couldn't track down--out of curiosity-- what camera(s) they're using with a web/IMDB search. Came across a short interview with the star via the show's Facebook page. That basement caged-reptiles episode last week, coming across the spooky dude horror-movie style, reminded me of Clarice Starling poking about another dark basement. -- John

·
Registered
28,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD  /t/1520926/a-es-those-who-kill#post_24611336

It's a shame more people don't watch these types of shows: engaging, cerebral and well acted.

The problem is there are so many of them now. There's almost a glut of good television, and even a hardcore fan has got to do some triage. I don't watch this one because, as a rule, I avoid cop/doc/lawyer procedurals no matter how ostensibly well done. That thins the pack considerably.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Just got to watch Sunday's episode.

Although Episode #1 was good, this one was the best (IMO, of course). Not so much killing/gore, more thought-provoking. I kept going back-and-forth between he's (Howard's) guilty and she's (Chloe Sevigny) crazy. It wouldn't surprise me if it turned out that Chloe was imagining this all along, although of course that feeling was mitigated when psycho-guy said her mother was lying, knows all about it. Then again, maybe they're (psycho-guy and Chloe) BOTH crazy. Or not. Again, really has me bouncing around.

Also, and I don't know why
, I was hoping to see Howard surrounded by rats down in the basement.

·
Banned
1,806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlk10010  /t/1520926/a-es-those-who-kill#post_24613064

Just got to watch Sunday's episode.

Also, and I don't know why
, I was hoping to see Howard surrounded by rats down in the basement.

"Tear him up!"

·
Registered
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13  /t/1520926/a-es-those-who-kill#post_24614089

"Tear him up!"

Do you really want to date yourself like that?

Of course the writers could have named her stepfather Willard instead of Howard, but I guess the reference would have gone over the head of most anyone under the age of 50.

·
Banned
1,806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlk10010  /t/1520926/a-es-those-who-kill#post_24617882

Do you really want to date yourself like that?

Of course the writers could have named her stepfather Willard instead of Howard, but I guess the reference would have gone over the head of most anyone under the age of 50.

Then some people might have thought it was a reference to Crispin Glover!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.