AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase an R300 based video card but I have a few final questions concerning the ATI 9700 PRO and the 9700 AIW PRO that my numerous searches have not been able to answer.

1) Are there any known PQ differences between these two cards or are they using the exact same hardware for this functionality? I know Mike Parker and others have raved about the 9700 PRO and I just wanted to ensure that the AIW maintained the exact same high quality PQ.

2) The one recurring complaint I've heard regarding the AIW 9700 is the lack of a second monitor output (ie VGA or DVI) for multi-monitor support. Besides this issue, are there any other obvious shortcomings when comparing the AIW card to the regular 9700 PRO?

·
Wireless member
27,116 Posts
Performance-wise, the two cards are virtually identical. The AIW adds an analog TV tuner, PVR functions, video capture (with editing and effects) and has a different software bundle. There may be other differences, but I believe I have mentioned the significant ones. FYI, neither 9700 model has component output like the 8500AIW.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just a small correction to pepar's post... The 9700 Pro AIW does have component out....

Ripped from ATI's 9700 AIW specs page:

Component Video output via a YPrPb adapter
http://mirror.ati.com/products/pc/aiw9700pro/specs.html

Unlike the 8500 AIW, you don't have to change HDTV resolutions (1080i/720p/etc...) via a jumper on the cable... It's all done via drivers now.

My 9700 AIW should be at the local fedex office as we speak. Going to try and pick it up this evening. Now I just have to figure out a way to get my GWII to work with it via DVI.... :(

Jason

·
Wireless member
27,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaemoNj
Just a small correction to pepar's post... The 9700 Pro AIW does have component out....
You're right; I stand corrected. I was thinking of the comparison between the 8500 (not AIW) and the 9700 Pro. The 8500 supports the optional dongle, but the 9700 does not.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Well, then why is one listed for the 9500/9700 on the ATI Store?

Part Number: HDTV R9500/9700

Item Description: RADEON 9500/9700 DVI-I HDTV COMPONENT ADAPTER

Total Cost Before Shipping & Taxes: $29.00

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just a quick update... Picked up my 9700 AIW a few minutes ago... Looks pretty nifty. I won't have enough time to play around until this weekend.

I have to build a whole new htpc this weekend... Already have an Abit KT400 based max2 mb, 1gig of crucial ddr, 500Gigs of HD space (2 200g + 1 100G western Digital HDs), and my AIW 9700Pro to top it off... All in a CoolerMaster windowed case!

It's gonna be sweet! I'll let ya'll know how it turns out!

Jason

·
Wireless member
27,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jkaiser
Well, then why is one listed for the 9500/9700 on the ATI Store?

Part Number: HDTV R9500/9700

Item Description: RADEON 9500/9700 DVI-I HDTV COMPONENT ADAPTER

Total Cost Before Shipping & Taxes: $29.00
Well I'll be darned. I swear that there was none for the 9700 Pro when it debuted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.