AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post in the DVD Recorders forum...I usually lurk in the plasma forum...so bear with me. :)

I recently became interested in DVD recorders seeing how I don't have anyway to record TV shows right now...no VCR and no Tivo.

I'd like to be able to record some of my favotire shows and some movies that come on every now and then.

Also, I currently have a Panasonic non-progressive scan DVD player...and will need a progressive scan for my future TV...

So...to the questions...

How is the DVD player on the DMR-E50K? Is it good quality in terms of a progressive scan dvd player?

How do the DVD recorders basically work? I imagine just like an old VCR? You can set the time and channel yourself...or use the VCR+ codes?

Finally, can this DVD recorder edit things like commercials out of shows?

I think that's all my questions for now.

·
Registered
108 Posts
1. I think the progressive scan player compares very favorably in quality. I don't have an HD set so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

2. Yes, it works basically like a VCR. You can enter the channel/time manually or use VCR+ codes. Only downside is your DirecTV box can't control the recorder like it does with a VCR. You have to set both the DirecTV box and the DVD recorder. Not a huge deal.

3. It won't "edit" commercials out but you can skip past them.

I have the 50 model ... many people here like the E80 better. It's more expensive but adds a hard drive for recording. If you want to transfer old VHS tapes to DVD it's something to look at. If I had to do it again, I would have spent the extra money. If all you're doing is taping stuff off TV, this might not be a concern for you.

One thing I've really liked is the ability to record something and start watching before it's done. I never had Tivo so I didn't have this previously. It's great to put the kids to bed @ 8:15 and start watching the West Wing that began at 8.

Two cents from a very happy E50 owner. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
If editing commercials out f T shows that you want to archive is a main requirement, then save your money and go for the E-80.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.