AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

My contractor is finishing up turning around my basement stairs. We are changing the entry to the basement to allow us to actually get things down the steps easier. Anyway, my contractor has never done a dedicated theater before so he is more excited then I am to build this. He is semi retired and does remodeling to keep him busy. He has done several night club remodeling jobs including one where there were 4 night clubs in one building so he is very good with sound proofing, so we are not to concerned over that part.

A little background.

We are on a little bit of a budget. I asked here in the past about in wall speakers and everyone pointed me away from that to save money. We are building this in the basement and the size will be aproximently 21X11.

A few questions. We are looking at putting the speakers behind the screen to allow for the largest screen possible. We were thinking that we would build a frame wall and attach the screen to the wall. Then place the speakers behind it. We figure we can build it out about 2 feet from the concrete wall to have a crawl space for adjusting speakers and such. The other 3 sides of the room will be framed and dry walled. Accoustic celing tiles for the ceiling. We are concered about sound by leaving the area behind the screen open. thoughts?

What is our best bet for sealing and covering the concrete floor. Our contractor is talking about building a subfloor similar to what you use in kitchens. He would take 1 inch strips of wood layed across the floor. Put the balsom on top of that and then carpet over. Says it will give great cushining feeling. Thoughts?

Lastly we plan on putting a circular sofa in as seeting. We are looking at putting the sofa around 10 feet back from the screen. From the sofa point to the back of the room we are looking at building in wall shelving from floor to ceiling on both sides. This would allow for storage of Records, DVDs, ect. and not take space from the room to do so. Thoughts?

We are planning on starting construction the first of the year and are just trying to finalize everything.

· Registered
1,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by damon121897
A few questions. We are looking at putting the speakers behind the screen to allow for the largest screen possible. We were thinking that we would build a frame wall and attach the screen to the wall. Then place the speakers behind it. We figure we can build it out about 2 feet from the concrete wall to have a crawl space for adjusting speakers and such. The other 3 sides of the room will be framed and dry walled. Accoustic celing tiles for the ceiling. We are concered about sound by leaving the area behind the screen open. thoughts?
I didn't read anything about an acoustically transparent perforated screen in your description? Are you talking about putting the speakers directly behind the screen? Also, "biggest screeen" isn't always better. Take into account the ratio of your seating distance to the screen size.

Quote:
Originally posted by damon121897
What is our best bet for sealing and covering the concrete floor. Our contractor is talking about building a subfloor similar to what you use in kitchens. He would take 1 inch strips of wood layed across the floor. Put the balsom on top of that and then carpet over. Says it will give great cushining feeling. Thoughts?
Why not just lay padding and carpet directly over concrete?

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes we are looking at the possiblitly of a accostic screen. We are going to be putting in a 8' X 4'5 screen, so we will have a foot on each side, but not yet sure if that is enough for the speakers.

We are concered about moisture building up on the concrete floor and causing moisture issues with the carpet. We are hoping the subfloor would help eliminate some of those issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.