Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all,

I am fairly new to HT and would like some more information about some things. I just purchased an Infocus LP755 which I intend to use to watch DVD movies projected onto a large white wall.

1. DLP vs LCD - Which is better for HT?

2 What exactly is D-ILA and how does it compare to DLP and LCD?

3. Does a PC output a better DVD image than a DVD player? If so, why and how would I go about setting this up with my Infocus LP755.

4. I project my DVD movies on to a white wall. This looks OK to me, but is there some sort of paint (or color) that I could use to improve the image. Will a screen really make that much of a difference? What is gain?

5. What are the required pieces for configuring an HTPC?

Thanks ...

Tito Aguirre

·
Registered
105 Posts
Each of those questions could be a thread in it's self.

Quote:
Originally posted by taguirre
HI all,

I am fairly new to HT and would like some more information about some things. I just purchased an Infocus LP755 which I intend to use to watch DVD movies projected onto a large white wall.

1. DLP vs LCD - Which is better for HT?
Which is better Vanilla or Chocolate? Each has it's strengths and weaknesses, and the market is constantly changing and advances are being made with both technologies on a regular basis. And personal preference figures into it in a big way.

Quote:
2 What exactly is D-ILA and how does it compare to DLP and LCD?
D-ILA is a type of LCD that is reflective rather than transmissive. With a transmissive panel used in traditional LCD projectors you have a smaller aperture because you need room for the support and electrical connections to each pixel. The reflective [D-ILA] panels don't need to pass light through, so a much higher aperture ratio can be achieved since the entire substrate can be utilized for the electrical connections. Thus D-ILA panels are far superior to LCD and DLP. But, the issues start to arise once manufacturers begin to package those panels in projectors, now heat, noise, price all become issues. These discussions are well covered in this forum, I would suggest reading past posts on the subject.

Quote:
3. Does a PC output a better DVD image than a DVD player? If so, why and how would I go about setting this up with my Infocus LP755.
Based on image quality alone, probably YES. But there are many other factors involved. Check the "Home Theater Computer" forum for discussions on this topic.

Quote:
4. I project my DVD movies on to a white wall. This looks OK to me, but is there some sort of paint (or color) that I could use to improve the image. Will a screen really make that much of a difference? What is gain?
Gray screens are often preferred for digital projectors, but it depends on ambient light and projector light output. I personally have a gray painted wall and the shade has been tuned to my specific conditions. You can pick up more details on the "Screens" forum.

Quote:
5. What are the required pieces for configuring an HTPC?
This topic is covered well in the "Home Theater Computers"

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.