AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since i'm buying my first TV i will bump this thread of mine and ask you for some help. All your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

1. Budget

I'm willing to spend around 900€ = 1 130$

2. Seating distance

From 9' to 11'.

3. Size/placement limitations

I have no placment limitations. Looking at 46" to 48".

4. Uses and sources

The only device that will be connected to TV is my PC (trough HDMI). I will be using my TV only for watching movies and series. I will not watch sports, won't play games or to be more exact i will not connect my TV with cable TV or inernet TV.

I will mainly be watching HD material (Full Blu-Rays, 1080p encodes). I watch SD material (DVD9 sources) only when series/movies don't exist in HD.

HD - 70%

SD - 30%

5. Room lighting

I would say "almost dark". There is no bias lighting.

6. Important factors:

- Very important to me is 1080p/24 or 24p compatibility!

- Best PQ possiable.

- Preferably i would like to have LCD Full LED (if possible).

- I don't care about 3D so this is an important factor.

- Since i'm from Europe i can't use and don't need "Internet streaming services" like Netflix and Hulu.

- I also don't need services like Pandora, Rhapsody, Picasa, Flickr, access to Facebook, Twitter, and even Skype.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I very well could be mistaken here, but I believe VGA maxes out at 720.

·
Registered
525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDUpstate /forum/post/20792465

I very well could be mistaken here, but I believe VGA maxes out at 720.

Incorrect, VGA is capable of much higher resolutions, up to at least 2048×1536px, VGA is however analog so higher resolutions with inferior long runs of cabling will cause problems. I have a 1080p monitor hooked up to VGA right now and it works fine. Best way for the op to check is try it.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasekamoz /forum/post/20792905

@Sonyad: Yes HP has DisplayPort. How much difference is there between HDMI and DisplayPort? Which do you think is better for playing HD material? My HP or Toshiba?

I'm completely new to Displayport up until the last few days. We had a Dell Ultracompact computer we wanted to hook up to a tv. The Dell only had a vga port which was missing from the tv, so it couldn't be used. However I wondered what that unidentified port was on the back, and after a bit of sleuthing I discovered we did indeed have a hd connection.

Being green at this, I can't give any recommendation except that hdmi is the more popular standard in consumer electronics. I haven't had to buy a monitor lately, so I don't know how pervasive displayport is with monitors. This link might provide a few answers: http://en.community.dell.com/dell-bl.../19/46464.aspx

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy /forum/post/20793251

They're both pretty portable (being laptops) so why not just try both?

Because i don't want o waste money for more cables (VGA to HDMI or DisplayPort). This is the main reason why i am asking here for some help so i could avoid unneccesery expenses.

I have read here that both VGA and DisplyPort are inferior to HDMI:

- http://www.edn.com/article/472679-Di...standards_.php

- http://homecinematics.com/167/vga-to-hdmi-converter/

·
Registered
525 Posts
HDMI and VGA are comparable for video quality to the untrained eye, HDMI is better for video only slightly. HDMI is so much better in other aspects because it can transport 3D and HD sound. Either setup will work for the OP but I must say HDMI will be easier to use as long as it is set up properly on the computer, if it isn't I wish you luck. VGA will require a separate cable for audio.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since i'm buying my first TV i will bump this thread of mine and ask you for some help. All your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

1. Budget

I'm willing to spend around 900€ = 1 130$

2. Seating distance

From 9' to 11'.

3. Size/placement limitations

I have no placment limitations. Looking at 46" to 48".

4. Uses and sources

The only device that will be connected to TV is my PC (trough HDMI). I will be using my TV only for watching movies and series. I will not watch sports, won't play games or to be more exact i will not connect my TV with cable TV or inernet TV.

I will mainly be watching HD material (Full Blu-Rays, 1080p encodes). I watch SD material (DVD9 sources) only when series/movies don't exist in HD.

HD - 70%

SD - 30%

5. Room lighting

I would say "almost dark". There is no bias lighting.

6. Important factors:

- Very important to me is 1080p/24 or 24p compatibility!

- Best PQ possiable.

- Preferably i would like to have LCD Full LED (if possible).

- I don't care about 3D so this is an important factor.

- Since i'm from Europe i can't use and don't need "Internet streaming services" like Netflix and Hulu.

- I also don't need services like Pandora, Rhapsody, Picasa, Flickr, access to Facebook, Twitter, and even Skype.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have used both HDMI and VGA into my 46" Samsung @1080p. Coming from a Dell inspiron dual core 5000, 512mb xfx video card Did not notice any real difference between the two. Try not to over think it. VGA cables are very cheap (monoprice.com). Grab one and try it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.