AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am VERY new to A/V receivers in general and have a few setup questions.

1. If I am using my playstation 2 for DVD playback and have it hooked up via Optical Audio cable to one of the receiver's optical inputs, Will i be able to achieve true 4.1 audio? (currently running a 4.1 setup, I am waiting on my center channel).

2. My PS2 is connected as Video 1, and when i select the proper optical input port to correspond with Video 1 on my a/v receiver(initial setup, digital input), i get no sound at all. When i leave the optical input port selection blank I hear sounds. How can i fix this?

3. When i go to the Listening mode presets menu (having not selected my optical inputs line number) It seems like my receiver thinks it is being sent only an analog signal and not a Digital signal. How can i correct this?

4. Running the THX audio setup in the incredibles is showing me that something isn't set up properly. When it gets to the center channel test, sounds come from all 4 speakers. Also when it gets to my surround right and surround left channels, both speakers are playing sounds simultaneously. What is causing this?

Well Thanks for reading my severely newbieish questions. I hope to get some answers, i'd like to enjoy my new dvd collection to the fullest extent :D

Edit: I would like to say that If anyone is considering to buy a 7.1 channel receiver the onkyo TX SR602 represents a good value @ it's price. I paid 249.99 for a cosmetic refurb at J and R Music world. This receiver has lots of power for a modest rating of 85Wpc. I'd say it rivals higher rated amps. Music quality is also amazing in 2-channel, very articulate and clear vocals.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
It sounds like you have to reassign the audio inputs to the Vid 1 or 2 from the factory defaults. I had to do this for my Oink 520, but I don't recall how specifically. It was a manual set, not remote, but very easy. Read your manual, it should tell you.

Since you are running a ghost center, THX maybe off. Did you set your center to none during setup? I don't think there is anything wrong, sounds like you have specific calibration issues.

I like the Onkyo sound, I've been trying to snag an HK for ~ the same price. I'm thinking pre-outs for future growth, but I'm tempted by the 602.

Let me know if this helps.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ron, you were very helpful.

FYI, to reset your Onkyo TX SR602, what you do is hold down the Video 1 button while powering the system down (found this on the cnet review).

Here is what i foolishly did wrong...I had the RCA cables from the PS2 hooked up to my receiver without even realizing it. They were connected to Video 1 (hence why Video 1 only had sound via analog). So, the entire time i thought I was experiencing dolby digital, I wasn't enjoying anything more than an analog connection. The ps2 itself did not even have dolby digital or dts enabled in it's menu. After enabling this feature in the ps2 proper sound seperation takes place as my receiver now recognizes my surround left and right from eachother.

Now I have another problem, I do not have a ghost center set-up. The THX test shows no sound comming from the center channel. How do i go about setting up this ghost center that you speak of?

Thanks a million for the help.

Edit: I did have the center channel enabled in the setup menu (i guess it was re-enabled after the manual reset) went back to the menu and disabled it. Now i have the ghost center i've always wanted :D

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Hurry up and get your center, so you can give up the ghost (that's really bad) :rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.