AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting the PT-50LC13, but I have a few questions. I have a Samsung DLP now, and I love its flexibility as a display device, just not the picture. It seems the Panasonic has similiar flexibility and maybe a picture that I'll like more.

1) It has an RGB input, is that for computers? Like can I plug my PC into it and run it at 1280x720 like the samsung? What about other VGA resolutions? The documentation is kind of confusing on what the "RGB" input is for.

2) Does the TV show you what mode its switching to? One thing I really hate about this samsung is that it doesn't say what video mode its switching to. I'd really like to know if things are set up correctly and displaying in the correct mode (480p, 720p, etc).

3) I've read that there is no way to turn off some of the inputs, and thus you have to cycle through them every time. Is there a hack around this? Are there discreet codes for the inputs so I could just program my remote to change to the exact one I want with one button press?

4) Can all of the component inputs accept all modes, including 480i? I'm amazed this thing has 4 component inputs and I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. 4 is the exact number I need, which would eliminate my switchbox.

5) Anyone ever watch tennis on one of these displays? Does the ball smear real bad when in motion? I watch a lot of tennis, so I'm just making sure. ;)

Thanks for any help. I'm getting a good feeling about this TV, and usually my gut instincts turn out right with this stuff. Just need a bit more info from you experts. :)

· Registered
14,338 Posts
Answers:

1. You can connect a PC to any of the TWO RGB inputs. It supports a lot of popular resolutions which are listed in the manual (you can down load the manual off Panasonic web site).

2. Yes, it does. A few clicks of remote send you to information display that shows exactly what you wanted.

3. The only inputs you can not skip (or turn off) are: RGB1, RGB2, DVI and digital card reader. So far, there is non hack around this and no discrect codes for inputs.

4. Yes, it accepts all modes in any of the component inputs.

5. Never watching any tennis. However, I play a lot of XBox video games on it and never experience any motion smear. Don't get that confused with MPEG2 compression artifacts which will exhibit on all TVs.

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the fast response, this TV is looking better and better!

One question I forgot, how is the vertical viewing angle? I'm finding it fairly poor on my samsung, I have to sit at nearly the perfect height or the top/bottom of the screen start changing brightness. Is it about on par, better or worse than a DLP?

· Registered
14,338 Posts
It's similar to your smsung: 70-degree(35 up and down) if I remembered correctly. It's the design limitation of the optical system that projects the image. It all about the right height of the TV stand (18 ~ 22"). Regular TV stands are usually too high (>25").

· Registered
3,828 Posts
No. 3 is the thing I like least about this tv, and No. 4 is the thing I like MOST about it (other than the outstanding picture). Panasonic GETS it, that people have lots of boxes to hook up to their tvs.

I have watched hockey, basketball, golf, nascar, softball, and soccer lately, but not tennis.

You're wondering if you're going to see the ball during some ace serve? ....

Can't say. I have never noticed (in almost 4 months) any blurring of moving objects. The processor in this tv seems to be able to keep up with whatever is fed it. It's the satellite, and even ota picture, that sometimes exhibits mpeg artifacts.

I have played Halo and my partner plays the Harry Potter PS2 game. I haven't noticed any blurring in games.

If you can live without jet-black blacks, then it's hard NOT to love this set.

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After my experience with this samsung DLP I've come to realize that picture quality is less important than other things, like flexible hookups and good motion reproduction.

I am a tiny bit worried about the black levels, as I'm having some trouble with the black levels in the DLP (losing important details in some games), but I really won't know if its good enough until I try it out.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll probably be picking one of these up in the weeks to come.

· Registered
74 Posts
I am a bit of a beginner with all of this so please forgive me is these are stupid questions but I am also interested in getting the Panasonic and I was wondering about the viewing angle.

Is 70 degress the viewing angle for all LCD TVs or is the viewing angle for the panasonic higher or lower than others?

Also, I plan on putting a sofa and two chairs beside it around ten feet from the TV. If I do that arrangement, will everyone be able to see the picture well?

· Registered
14,338 Posts
70 degree is vertical angle only. Horizontal angle is 140 degrees or so. Basically all LCD and DLP RPTV are similar in this aspect. CRT RPTV is much worse. So basically, that's the best you can get now unless you buy direct view TVs or Plasma. 9 to 10 feet is the best viewing distance for this TV.

· Registered
38 Posts
Hi all,

The thing I like least about this TV is the fact that I have to click through the video modes to get to the one I want. That and the fact that there is no published discreet on and off codes for the TV.

For my pronto remote, to get to the Component 3 mode. I have to send the following IR commands: channel up, delay, video select, delay, video select, delay, video select, delay, video select. About half the time, one of the ir commands is not received by the tv and it lands on component 1 or 2 so I have to do it again.

I am sure discreet codes for power on, power off and video mode exist for this TV, but I can't get to the right person at Panasonic to make a request to engineering.

Has anyone had any luck with this?

If it were not for this, the TV would be perfect.

Thanks,

Paul

· Registered
38 Posts
The other frustrating thing about programming a custom remote for this TV is programming a sleep timer. It is so buried in the setup that it makes for a very complicated macro.

I would be curious to know what percentage of people out there still use the remote control that came with the Panasonic.

I bought the first Pronto remote that came out a few years back and I will never go back. I keep upgrading and I just bought my third one. My family would never be able to operate my theater if were not for that remote.

Regards,

Paul

· Registered
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pcfallon
The other frustrating thing about programming a custom remote for this TV is programming a sleep timer. It is so buried in the setup that it makes for a very complicated macro.

I would be curious to know what percentage of people out there still use the remote control that came with the Panasonic.

I bought the first Pronto remote that came out a few years back and I will never go back. I keep upgrading and I just bought my third one. My family would never be able to operate my theater if were not for that remote.

Regards,

Paul
Yes, you have to take oxygen with you to get to the Sleep Timer :)

I /would/ use my Pronto except that it cannot learn "volume down" on my preamp ... it does a volume up operation whether I press up or down. Very annoying. If I have to go to >1 remote with a "universal" remote, then f*** the universal. It's useless if it can't do all that I need.

I've never found one that I can be happy with. All I want is for it to do everything and cost no more than $100. Is that so much to ask?

· Registered
74 Posts
Most of the above posts answered the questions. But I recently just purchased this TV model. My history for HD tv's is rather new but I spent a little around 2-3 months researching before my purchase. I will tell you right now, this TV is amazing. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. I bought it for the sole purpose to create the most intense machine.

I went on a shopping spree of parts and items after buying this tv to complete the package. I will tell you now that I am over-analyze things heavily. This is what I came to, with a sad cough I have to say yes the blacks are washed out, but to the positives of this tv.

Here is what I have done with this piece of work. I purchased the V880 for beautiful pictures with my dvds. Awesome. (hooked through DVI)

I hooked up my psyhcotic gaming computer through RGB, with Powerstrip modifying the resolution to look as good as DVI.

Purchased all component cables for all video game systems, gamecube, xbox, ps2. All of them look excellent while playing them.

Currently normal cable looks fine just as my old tv did. So nothing special. But overall yes great purchase. I put my foot down for this tv. It may not be the best TV on the market so in no way am I constituting it as the best, but it fit every damn of my needs perfectly.

· Registered
38 Posts
Like obsolete Asian, I also did a lot of research before I purchased this TV. I even brought a couple other TVs home and returned them before I made my final purchase. I am very confident that I made the right decision by buying this TV. In my opinion, it is by far the best TV for the money in this price range even with my custom remote control hassles.

Acuracl, I have had a similar problem in the past with volume on a preamp that I have upstairs. Which preamp and model of Pronto do you have? I might be able to help you out.

Regards,

Paul

· Registered
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Like obsolete Asian, I also did a lot of research before I purchased this TV. I even brought a couple other TVs home and returned them before I made my final purchase. I am very confident that I made the right decision by buying this TV. In my opinion, it is by far the best TV for the money in this price range even with my custom remote control hassles.

Acuracl, I have had a similar problem in the past with volume on a preamp that I have upstairs. Which preamp and model of Pronto do you have? I might be able to help you out.

Regards,

Paul
Hey Paul ... the preamp is an Angstrom 200. The Pronto is the Neo (see above, must cost

· Registered
38 Posts
Well, I am not familiar with the angstrom preamp and I have never used a NEO so I probably can't be of much help. Isn't the Angstom a high end preamp that compeats with the Lexicon? If so, why would you only be willing to spend

· Registered
3,828 Posts
The Angstrom used to compete with the Lexicon but the company went belly-up .... Still, it makes such good sound I have no intention of replacing it until it dies. Then I may get something along the lines of a used Theta Casablanca or Meridian 568/G68.

I'm weird about money. I'll spend $3500 on a preamp but cringe at >$100 on the remote. I guess it's because it really isn't necessary ... and because it really doesn't do anything to make the movie or music look or sound better ....

So, you recommend the TSU3000? Does it hang up like the Neo does sometimes (need to remove batteries to "reboot")? If not ... and if it doesn't eat batteries like crazy ... maybe I'll consider it. But I'll keep playing with the Neo for a while and see what's up with that Vol Down ....

· Registered
297 Posts
Quote:

For my pronto remote, to get to the Component 3 mode. I have to send the following IR commands: channel up, delay, video select, delay, video select, delay, video select, delay, video select. About half the time, one of the ir commands is not received by the tv and it lands on component 1 or 2 so I have to do it again.
I have a similar routine programmed into my MX-500. Didn't have to program any delays though, and it has never missed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.