AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/P...PS4273XXAA.asp

I bought this TV on Boxing Day, so I'm about a month into my relationship with it, and I've got a few issues that I'm wondering about. Right now I'm just set up with an HD digital cable box from Shaw via Component to the TV and a fibre optic cable from the box to my Pioneer receiver. Still waiting on my new Oppo DVD player.

1. Is there a known issue with Black Levels on this particular set? I notice that it has issues accurately rendering the darker scenes, causing artifacting even when watching TV. For instance, while watching "The Fog", anytime the fog would be seen swirling on screen, you would notice the edges of the fg to be almost artifact-like in nature, if that makes any sense. I had thought this was an issue with my DVD player, but I notice it on TV (Movie Central, Action and Scream networks) movies when I watch them now too.

2. The other issue I have, is an audio synching issue, but only on Movie Central channels. I'm assuming this is a result of the channel provider, but I'm wondering why only on those 4 particular channels?

Other than these two issues, I love my TV. Hopefully someone knows of a way to solve the aforementioned problems so I can enjoy it even more.

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asshandler /forum/post/0

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/P...PS4273XXAA.asp

I bought this TV on Boxing Day, so I'm about a month into my relationship with it, and I've got a few issues that I'm wondering about. Right now I'm just set up with an HD digital cable box from Shaw via Component to the TV and a fibre optic cable from the box to my Pioneer receiver. Still waiting on my new Oppo DVD player.

1. Is there a known issue with Black Levels on this particular set? I notice that it has issues accurately rendering the darker scenes, causing artifacting even when watching TV. For instance, while watching "The Fog", anytime the fog would be seen swirling on screen, you would notice the edges of the fg to be almost artifact-like in nature, if that makes any sense. I had thought this was an issue with my DVD player, but I notice it on TV (Movie Central, Action and Scream networks) movies when I watch them now too.

2. The other issue I have, is an audio synching issue, but only on Movie Central channels. I'm assuming this is a result of the channel provider, but I'm wondering why only on those 4 particular channels?

Other than these two issues, I love my TV. Hopefully someone knows of a way to solve the aforementioned problems so I can enjoy it even more.

Toward the end of last year, the BB stores in this area each had a Samsung 5073 ISF calibrated. I have had an occasion to view some of these sets on several occasions including again today at some length on Discovery HD. I can attest to a superb picture with good shadow detail and natural colors. The picture looks at first a bit dull AS IT SHOULD when compared against the typical exaggerated settings on most displays in stores.

You need to work particularly on setting black level (brightness) as well as white level (contrast). Gamma, unfortunately, is not adjustable on the Samsungs.

Audio sync sounds like a broadcast thing. Do you use a receiver and does it have a sync (delay) function? If so, it should be able to delay your audio to sync them beck up.

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/0

Gamma adjustments are available in the Service Menu

Thanks, I stand corrected. BTW do you know whether gamma is adjustable only globally (RGB together) or separately for each of R, G, and B? I would really like to know.

Do you know what other picture adjustments are available via the SM?

Thanks again for the info.

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itigap /forum/post/0

Thanks, I stand corrected. BTW do you know whether gamma is adjustable only globally (RGB together) or separately for each of R, G, and B? I would really like to know.

Do you know what other picture adjustments are available via the SM?

Thanks again for the info.

Cheers,

Gary

Globally. There are a bunch of sub-menus which I was too nervous about playing with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.