AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I built two of Erich's 4cu ft. flat packs last year. I used the Dayton 18" HO's and Dayton 500 watt plate amps.

I'm considering swapping out the drivers and amps and using them in the two Stonehenge designs.

1.) Do the Dayton HO's work well in this ported design? It looks like other people are using different drivers instead.

2.) Will the Dayton 500 watt plate amps work well? I already own them so saving money here would be great.

3.) I know I can mount the amp on the wall directly behind the driver. It would also fit on the side wall opposite the ported side walls. Is there any reason this wouldn't be a good idea? It looks like it wouldn't affect air flow.

4.) Would I see a big jump in performance from sealed to ported? You can see my room in my signature. It's not that big. My sealed subs are fine and I spent a lot of time measuring and positioning and attaining a reasonably flat response. But for some reason, they don't blow me away and make me think, "Wow, I have dual 18" subs in here!" The other reason I'm looking to potentially do the swap is I'm considering doing a projection screen and the narrower width would work a bit better for me.

5.) I was considering the side wall plate amp idea because I was thinking one of the subs might be used in a down firing set up. Down firing subs don't seem to be as popular as several years ago and I know over the long term there may be issues with sag, but is that really a significant factor?

Thanks!
Dan

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't see a HPF on the amp you have- though it is somewhat underpowered for your drivers (900x RMS/1800w Max), so maybe the 500w 1/3 duty cycle measurement means you won't damage the driver under port tune- you'd have to look at the model (I don't have WINISD at my office or i'd look for you). Your best bet would be to sell the plate amps on ebay, or save them for another project and pick up an iNuke 6000DSP- though a 3000DSP would work OK with only a decibel or two drop for each sub.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't see a HPF on the amp you have- though it is somewhat underpowered for your drivers (900x RMS/1800w Max), so maybe the 500w 1/3 duty cycle measurement means you won't damage the driver under port tune- you'd have to look at the model (I don't have WINISD at my office or i'd look for you). Your best bet would be to sell the plate amps on ebay, or save them for another project and pick up an iNuke 6000DSP- though a 3000DSP would work OK with only a decibel or two drop for each sub.
The Dayton amps have a HPF at 19z.

I was just looking at the iNuke 6000DSP. I'm confused about how they connect with the subs and then with my receiver.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
The Dayton amps have a HPF at 19z.

I was just looking at the iNuke 6000DSP. I'm confused about how they connect with the subs and then with my receiver.
RCA to 1/4th or RCA to XLR to connect the receiver to the amp, then speakon connector to connect the amp to the subs.

Those 500w plate amps, surprisingly enough, will practically pay for the new amp. You could still technically use them at first until they sell. ;)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RCA to 1/4th or RCA to XLR to connect the receiver to the amp, then speakon connector to connect the amp to the subs.

Those 500w plate amps, surprisingly enough, will practically pay for the new amp. You could still technically use them at first until they sell. ;)
Okay. And--this is totally new to me--the speakon runs from the amp to the sub. I have a speaker mount on the sub to plug into and then...inside the sub, how does the driver hook up to the speakon mount? Does speaker wire solder to it? Are there other options? Don't know how to solder.

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Okay. And--this is totally new to me--the speakon runs from the amp to the sub. I have a speaker mount on the sub to plug into and then...inside the sub, how does the driver hook up to the speakon mount? Does speaker wire solder to it? Are there other options? Don't know how to solder.

Thanks
Dan
You can use a speakon connector on the Amp side and run standard speaker cable from the speakon (which they make them with screw terminals) to the wire terminals on the subwoofer box.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can use a speakon connector on the Amp side and run standard speaker cable from the speakon (which they make them with screw terminals) to the wire terminals on the subwoofer box.
Thanks. Couple more questions about the iNuke. Do I have to set it up in any way? Like enter in a HPF, etc. Or is it as turn-key as a plate amp?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Thanks. Couple more questions about the iNuke. Do I have to set it up in any way? Like enter in a HPF, etc. Or is it as turn-key as a plate amp?
It does need to be set up, but you can hook a PC up to it via the USB port to handle that task. The software is very straight forward, and with guidance from your peers you can be up and running very quickly.

The settings for it are all very well documented on this forum, as it is a very popular amp here. Any questions asked regarding it are usually answered very quickly. I have one myself. ;)

Just make SURE you buy a DSP version.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.