AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to this so please bear with me. I am thinking of replacing my Hitachi 65" Ultra-vision CRT rear projection TV and considering getting a front projector. I am giving myself a $5000 budget which is to include a projector, screen and cables and any other mounts or hardware I might need. First I am looking into either the Panasonic LCD AE2000 or the DLP Optoma HD80 both models list for $2699. I was looking for oppinions on which one I should consider if any one had any and could guide me. I also have no idea what kind of screen or size screen to consider? fixed mount or electric? Brands etc. From front wall to back wall I have a little over 18 feet and the width of the room is 13.5 feet and the height is just a little over 7 feet high. It is in a finished basement with two small windows on one wall and recess lighting.. Is this suitable for a projector? And I am considering maybe doing some sort of built in cabinet near the screen for A/V equipment so I might actually have 14-16 feet of viewing when all is said and done. Also, I have a Onkyo 705 that does video switching? Can this be set up the same way as I do with my tv now with going fom the Reciever to the projector and than from the reciever to my Cable box, PS3 etc. for video switching? They are all hooked up HDMI. And Is it my understanding that these projectors are not supposed to be used for everyday tv watching? I will most likely use it mostly for weekend movie watching, Occasional video game playing and sports TV. Don't mean to blast questions, but I am just looking for a little insight on what to expect and to consider before making the leap. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thank you for your reply. You definately opend my eyes to the Epson. I don't know to much on projectors. I am just looking to get the best video experience I can. How would you compare going from a a crtRPTV to a projector as far as video quality and on that same subject how would it compare to a LCD or Plasma Flat panel TV. Do you know anything on hooking up the projector to a video switching receiver? Thanks

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Not an expert like many here but will share our personal experiences.

Your room should make a great HT room and your budget should allow you to have a nice setup.

LCD vs DLP - Hordes of passionate advocates on both sides of that issue. I prefer LCD and the two LCD pjs we have owned have given us the WOW of Home Theater. Both platforms have gotten better and more reliable.

Mounting - A lot of people like ceiling mount and some don't have a choice. We are happy with out PJ on a shelf about 5 ft off the floor. Our ceiling is about same ceiling height but lens to screen throw distance is only 13 ft.

Screen - We like our fixed mount screen - brand is Da-lite - model is Da-snap gray high contrast - dimensions are 60X80 and we get a 120 in diagonal 16:9 and simply huge 4:3 when in full screen mode - kind of streches he 4:3 image a bit but we've developed a visual taste for it that way.

You can't get that effect with a 16:9 widescreen only screen and we're glad we have the less rectangular screen and don't mind it being fixed in place.

Receiver - If the image from your sources through the Onkyo looks great to you when it gets to the screen that is the only important consideration.

Regular TV Viewing - A lot of people post that they use their projector for ALL tv and movie viewing. Why not?

We don't have a room that we can dedicate as home theater so we have our RP HD TV one one wall and pj screen on another and seating arranged to support both. Works for us and with the lights needed and casual content playing the tv works best - specially in a group multi-activity social gathering.

IMO - The enemy of front projectors is ambient light. Ambient light is worse when walls and ceiling are light colored and reflective. The more light the more the screen image will be washed out - less bright and lower contrast. Theaters are dark and the HT experience will be best in dark room or low light with darker and non-reflective walls and ceiling.

A projector in the right room gives us a Theater experience that NO tv can compete with. Congrats on your decision to go front pj HT.

·
Registered
248 Posts
You should probably go with an LCD projector because of your low ceilings. They have lens shift which allows you to move the picture up or down and left and right without distortion. Also the LCDs have a much better zoom range. This will make placement a lot easier for you. So the AE2000 or the Epson would both work.

-Yes you would use your projector just like any other display device. Your reciever can do the video switching for you. This is what I am doing with just one HDMI cable going to the projector.

-Some people use their projectors for everyday viewing but you will have to replace the bulb much sooner.

-If you are gonna sit 14' away you should probably go for a screen at least 92". You should get the projector first though and shoot it at a blank wall or sheet to give you an idea of how big you want to go. Then order your screen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great responses. Thanks alot! So it looks like either the Epson or the Panasonic to start with. Hey IMJAY, with your fixed screen. Do they make a protective cover for screens when not in use for dust or prevent the three year old from using it as a 100" chalk board? lol. And do these screens require cleaning? Now, I personally watch and buy all movies in wide screen and watch just about all my TV viewing on HD channels. So should I consider a full 16x9 screen. you kind of lost me on your screen set up with the 4x3 being stretched. You say your screen is 60x80 and gives you a 120" diagonal screen? That sounds great to me. But than I read getting atleast a 96" screen. I will have to read up on screens a little bit more. On a softer note. I am a professional painter by trade so I was thinking of converting the whit ceilings over to a soft Kaki color. The greens walls over to a darker version of the ceiling and the screen wall to a burgandy color. So I am thinking that will help with darkening up the room. And I will get some different blinds for the windows. The good news is I am in a basement so not alot of light coming in. Glad to know I can video switch witht he reciver. Any good sites for long HDMI Cables? Thank god for home equity loans

·
Registered
688 Posts
kidfox.....

I have a very similar room size as yours and constructed a room with a 5k budget also. I can vouch for the great quality of the Epson LCD projectors. I've had mine (Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 400) for about 5 months now and I'm still in awe every time I watch HDM's....

·
Registered
438 Posts
Most home theatre projectors regardless of technology have the same input options as a conventional TV, minus the tv tuner input. Since you have a cable box, it should not be an issue at all.

I don't believe the Onkyo 705 does upscaling to 1080p but it does upconvert analog signal to HDMI, so running a single HDMI cable to the projector is just fine. It would be best if you can personally audition the projectors you want to buy, but most people usually buy their projectors sight unseen. Simply because most local dealers do not keep sub $3000 in their demo room. That said I have seen Optoma and Mitsubishi (LCD) in demo rooms. You may be able to find a dealer or 2 who carry these units and have them set up in their demo room.

Personally I put all my equipment at the back of the room, close to the projector. I find the equipments to be a bit distracting when they are all lit up.

Lighting condition is a very important consideration for front projection set up. Unless you have good light control during the day, front projection may not work.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts
Cheap HDMI cables, go to top of page and click on Monoprice. If you need a long cable, get one that is a heavy gauge. I would go for an LCD projector since it is your first. I also have the Epson HC400. I use my projector nearly every day, viewing mostly HD and some SD. I sit about 1.5 times the width of my screen. I have a 106" 16 by 9 screen. My screen width is 92" and I sit 11 to 11-1/2 feet from my screen. I am using a pull down screen since I use my TV and projector for the same setup. The screen lowers down in front of my TV. With a $5,000 budget I think the Epson 1080 UB is a good suggestion.

Go to www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_1080_UB_-projection-calculator-pro.htm to get throw information on this projector. Since your room is 18 feet deep you will probably need to ceiling mount.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts