AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright im asking all these because i just purchases a 24" panasonic tau not hdtv but its an awesome tv. Im not eagerly awaiting xbox to take advantage of it so ive got some questions for my home set up. thanks in advance. here we go...

1)If i understand correctly, comb filters in the tv take the composite signal and seperate it into luminance, chrominance, etc... Now S-video and component bypass the comb filter because its already seperated and thats why it looks better. So with regular A/V would the amount of seperation and in the end the looks of the game depend on your comb filter? if u have a 3D digital filter wouldnt get you kinda close to S-Video appearance?

2) Would there be a noticable difference to me between S-Video and component input? I got s-video because its only 10 dollars but i could always get component. anyone have comparison shots or somethin?

3) how much of a difference is there between A/V and S-video? im hoping its great because ive never used s video before so im hoping itll be a good increase. Also when ur plugging s video in do u put in the yellow visual A/V cord to or just the S video pin?

4) i dont know if anyone would know this but how many lines of resolutions would u say my tv has? remember brand new tau series.

Alright thank you guys very much in advance. thisll be a big help

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Slow down there supersonic...1st you need to wait more than an hour and a half before bumping to the top because no one has answered yet.

1) I wouldn't say that ALL sets illiminate the comb filter on S-video. The biggest reason for the improved quality is the signal chain. The sets wants RGB, so there is a decoder chip that goes like this a) Composite video b) S-video c) component video d) RGB.

When using S, you bypass the 1st step. In compoent you bypass the 1st 2 steps. Less work and processing=better picture.

This is a crude elementarty example, but fundamentally it is correct.

2) Depends...do you truly have something that outputs component? I don't know anything about the X-Box you mentioned, but if it doesn't have component outs, coponent in on the TV is a mute point. I would however go ahead and get the component for future upgrades.

3) big difference between S and composite. You should definately notice a difference. No, you do not plug in both...you will however still need the audio cables.

4) Who knows...chewck with Panasonic. The lines of res on the TV will be dependent on the input. It may well have 1000 lines capabaility, but if you feed it a 200 line signal, then you only get 200 lines. Unless you scale it with a procesor or HTPC (which your set is more than likely not capable of) then you're limited by the input. I say not capable of because you said non-HDTV and what appears to be a lack of inputs if you are trying to decide on a unit that ha S or component.

HTH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.