AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first hdtv, a Sharp AQUOS 32 LC32D64U. I took it to my room and plugged it in the cable and just as I figured, i can barely get any channels and the quality is terrible. I just recently bought this house so I am assuming the cable connections in my room aren't necessarily cable. The guy left 2-3 satellites/antennas attached to the garage when he moved out so I am assuming the cables are reaching those.

So really my questions are this, if those plugs were in fact for cable, would the picture just show up like any other tv? I know cable is an option since I have it downstairs. If the plugs upstairs are for these satellites, what would I look for in order to connect one of the outlets to the cable? Is there a central place or do I have to find the existing cable line and splice into it?

Also, are these new tv just like the old ones where I need to have some sort of cable box in order to reach channels past 125 or so?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You have posted the most difficult to answer post I have ever seen

on this site.

You need to find a local friend who can explain the many options to you.

1. Cable only comes from a hard wire that the cable guy comes and activates after you request the service. It is very unlikely that it was left on.

2. The big bowl looking antennas on your roof that are about as big as a trash can lid were for service from Dish Network or DirecTv. They are worthless to you unless you call one of those services and arrange for service.

3. Houses usually have coax cable running to various rooms from various locations-the newer the house, the more the wires.

4. The very first thing you could try is some rabbit ear type indoor digital antenna to see if you can your local channels in HDTV for the new Sharp.

It will have a search function that will find the channels.

5. If you want to figure out all the wire runs you can buy a cheap signal sender and start testing.... but really, decide which service meets your needs and get connected. This is a great place to find out about the different services. I hope you end up with Dish or DirecTV because I think they are by far the better values over cable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts