AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've been researching expanding my media server but I can't handle splitting my collections over multiple drives. I want just a massive HDD and it looks as if I am going the RAID 5 way. After looking into it I had a few questions and I stumbled across this thread (40TB+ media server
)

I am thinking of buying the Highpoint RocketRAID 2320, then purchasing a few HDD and creating a 3x1TB HDD RAID 5 array, then expanding as I need more space. I have about 1TB of space in my media server at the moment and was going to rejig data around to free up a HDD and use that plus 2 others in the array.

The question I have is, would I be able to buy 2 new drives plus this other free drive and RAID them? Like do the HDD's have to be the same model? I've been told they have to be the same size, but could I essentially have a Western Digital HDD and 2 Seagates or something like that?

Also is expansion possible? I've just been assuming I can expand and on another forum they said yeah but would rather get the go ahead instead of reaching the end of the array only to find out I have to reformat the array to add a new HDD.

Sorry about the large first post, but these questions have been irking me badly haha Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
The hard drives ideally should be the same model. Hardware raid is more finicky then software raid, but I can't comment on that highpoint controller. Your mileage may vary.

The HPT 2320 does seem to support online capacity expansion (as per http://www.highpoint-tech.com/usa/rr2320.htm ). So what you would do is, pop another drive in, tell the controller to expand the raid, and wait for that to finish. Once that finishes, then expand the filesystem itself to use up the extra space.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by William /forum/post/16924412

If you want/need unknown, flexible and near unlimited expansion go unRAID

Hmm ok, yeah I saw the link in that thread I mentioned earlier. Problem is I only have 4 SATA ports on my motherboard so I need to expand anyway, so the next logical thing was a RAID card.

I might email Highpoint about the drive problem and see what they have to say

·
Registered
701 Posts
The 2320 shouldn't require identical drive models, but it is generally the way to go, if one drive doesn't perform at the same level as the others, it will drag the whole array down, and if the controllers on the chips are too different(not typically a problem on HDDs outside of old SCSI devices) there can be notable corruption of data. Personally, I would start from scratch, keep your old drive(s) for back-up or what-not and get three new drives, I know it's an extra $100 but you can get matching drives and they'll be the same age so they're less likely to cause sporadic reads/writes and you won't have one drive failing well ahead of the others. Just IMHO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtosDracon /forum/post/16924442

The 2320 shouldn't require identical drive models, but it is generally the way to go, if one drive doesn't perform at the same level as the others, it will drag the whole array down, and if the controllers on the chips are too different(not typically a problem on HDDs outside of old SCSI devices) there can be notable corruption of data. Personally, I would start from scratch, keep your old drive(s) for back-up or what-not and get three new drives, I know it's an extra $100 but you can get matching drives and they'll be the same age so they're less likely to cause sporadic reads/writes and you won't have one drive failing well ahead of the others. Just IMHO.

Hmmm yeah that's a good point, some of them are fair old, i'll have to save up a bit more cash then. Just that 40TB thread got me all excited lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts