AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a few subwoofers to go with the used system I just purchased.

My main system: Infinity Beta

2 x Infinity Beta 50

1 x Infinity Beta C360

4 x Infinity Beta 20

Onkyo HT-RC260 Receiver

These mains go own to 40Hz, the satellites go down to 60Hz. So high frequencies are not necessary.

My Listening:

80% TV/Movies (70% sports, 30% movies)

20% Music (everything from classical to heavy metal)

My Room:

It's a big interconnected kitchen/living room space. Probably 25'x15'. However, it's in an apartment, so it can't be too loud.

Preferences:

I dislike huge booming base - so I don't really want a super-powerful system.

Budget:

About $150-$200. I don't see this getting tons of use, so I don't want to spend a ton on it.

Systems I've considered:

Used:

Klipsch RW-10d ($200 with some negotiating)

Boston Accoustics XB6 ($225 or so)

KEF PSW2150 ($200)

New:

BIC H-100 (a little pricey at $225 or so)

BIC V-1220 ($193)

BIC V-1020 ($150)

I guess the main question is - everybody here loves the BICs - but how do they compare to the higher price (when new) subwoofers above?

Another thing to consider is that I very well might be moving across the country in a year - so resale value is also something to consider. Buying used components, I can get some/all of my money back on resale, if the initial deal is good.

Thanks,

~Lyuokdea

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anybody have any suggestions on these subs? Are these used subs of higher quality than something like the BIC that I would buy new? What about the resale value?

Thanks,

~Lyuokdea

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Think I'm going to go the used option (the chance I have to resell these in 6 months is just too great, and I'll lose a lot if i buy new)

What do you think is a better sub the XB6 or the RW-10D?

Thanks,

~Lyuokdea

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Sorry..I don't like the sub you are letting me chose for that area...

You should start looking in the $400-$500 category for that space at least...Search Hsu Research subs...

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
a BIC H-100 is a good performer and is quite popular and should have good resale value if you ever decide to sell it. just don't expect it to blow your windows out. i don't know much about your other pics.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ended up going with the Klipsch. It sounds very good (this is my first speakers system - so I probably would have liked anything).

It's plenty powerful for me - I actually have it tuned down to -4db right now, though I've only spent about 2 min setting it up so far.

~Lyuokdea

1 - 6 of 6 Posts