Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Holidays all -

I thought I would post a quick note, urging you all to consider giving a donation to your local PBS station, and ask that it be used exclusively for high definition programming.

We all care deeply about HDTV, and the quality of high definition programming from PBS is exponentially better than that which we receive from satellite, cable or other local broadcast stations. In addition, I suspect we can all afford at least a small donation.

I am in no way affiliated with public television, the IRS, or any government agency or political party - but I do give generously each year to worthy causes, and my interest in HDTV places my local PBS affiliate, WETA, among the top of the list of causes I deem worthy.

Cheers,

Jody Carbone

Washington, VA

·
Registered
541 Posts
I agree in principle. However, our local PBS affiliate has failed miserably in the area of HDTV. They have embraced multicasting, apparently through their tie-in with Comcast, and that has had a big effect on the recent quality of their HD loop material. As a so-called leader in the field, as they tout themselves, I find it surprising that they are incapable of passing along the PBS national feed of HD material. They also don’t possess the capability of providing 5.1 sound.

You may argue that that is all the more reason to send them a contribution earmarked for HDTV. I work in Congress and I frequently hear the phrase “money is fungible.†I suggest that any donation you send WETA will be lumped into their general funds and not one cent of it will be spent on HDTV. I have been a $50-a-year member for the last 2 years, but I do not intend to re-up. Read this link for other views from forum participants in our area.

·
Registered
780 Posts
WETA

Up until about two years ago, I was a resident of the DC area and an early adopter of HDTV. I too enjoyed the launch of HDTV on WETA and it was the benchmark I used for HDTV. Although I have not viewed WETA recently, it saddens me to hear of the degradation in PQ as a result of mulicasting.

Before we moved to the Atlanta area, WTEA had added a SDTV channel without much noticeable degradation to Ch 27, but the referenced post suggests that things have gone down hill since.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would that be our new, Republican congress? :)

No, I may not argue, nor am I surprised that our congressmen have the view that "money is fungible". Forgive me, but I am not shocked.

I have spoken with Sue Richmond from WETA, who assures me that every dollar in donations requested to go to high definition programming does indeed get used for that purpose, rather than what you "suggest".

WETA was years ahead of our other major broadcasters in their effort to promote and deliver HDTV, and their pioneering in this regard should not go unnoticed.

Incidentally, my post was not exclusive to WETA, but rather for PBS in general.

Ho Ho Ho!

JC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.