AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a BenQ projector that's about 4 years old. I don't know the model or how much usage is on the bulb but he's never changed it. In very dark scenes the picture is just about unwatchable. You can't tell what's happening. It's just a big black mess (ie the chase scene through the tunnel from Quantum of Solace). In normally lit scenes, everything is fine. Oh, it's also 720p.

My question: Is there a way to fix this and is it worth it? Or is it better just to get a new projector?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
A new bulb and a calibration could help but is it worth it prob not some really good projectors out there for good prices. even some high quality used for decent prices.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Is the picture plenty bright enough in normal scenes that aren't dark? If so, it probably wouldn't be fixed with a simple lamp change. Settings would be worth checking as well in case they are off (specifically check the brightness and contrast). NOTE: Brightness as a control is NOT going to make it have higher light output if you turn it way up...it will simply wash out the black levels. People that are newer to this don't realize that so I want to make sure that isn't happening.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Even with crappy contrast you should still have some shadow detail. Dark scenes should not crush to black. Pop in any THX dvd and check the black level test and adjust as necessary. If that doesn't do it check IRE settings. Improper IRE could also cause black crush that you can't calibrate out. Make sure player and projector have matching IRE settings.

·
Registered
380 Posts
My 720p Benq pe8700 did the same thing when it was nearing end of bulb life.

I replaced it a couple of years ago with an Epson 1080ub. There really was a significate difference between the Benq projecter and Epson even with a new bulbs. The Benq did slightly crush blacks but proper calibration did almost eliminate it.

If you have to replace the bulb, I would recomend just putting the money towards a newer projector. Epson and Panasonic both have reasonably prices projectors that will produce a better image.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Blacks are one area of projectors that has been improving each year with replacement models. I would be amazed if one replacing a several years older model with a new one wouldn`t see a hugh improvement in the blacks. As a bulb ages it would be easy to crank up the contrast and brightness to try and improve things that now are too dim. This would lead to lousy blacks. Jason`s advise should be headed. new bulb would allow contrast and brightness to be properly set and still provide sufficient light to the screen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the replys. I'll suggest changing the bulb and recalibrating to my friend. Even though it only projects 720p, the thought of getting rid of a perfectly good projector after only 4-5 years seem very wasteful. I don't know how much he paid but I'm sure it was a couple of thousands.

·
Premium Member
25,516 Posts
"the thought of getting rid of a perfectly good projector after only 4-5 years seem very wasteful. "

It does, but I think much better 720P pj's can be had for ~$800.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Technology has advanced considerably leading to much improved picture quality and prices have dropped considerably. But without a new bulb the projector will be pretty much useless and for the price of a bulb, it can be continued in use by the owner or another or just kept as a back up if a new cheap projector breaks. And cheap projectors do break on occasion.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Make sure brightness control is not to high. Often people increase brightness thinking the image will get brighter but in fact it reduce contrast.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Yeah this business is amongst some of the worst for depreciation. Stuff that was $10k just a few years ago is worth virtually nothing now. Alas, it is what it is.

·
Registered
573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justhoi /forum/post/18241506

Thanks guys for the replys. I'll suggest changing the bulb and recalibrating to my friend. Even though it only projects 720p, the thought of getting rid of a perfectly good projector after only 4-5 years seem very wasteful. I don't know how much he paid but I'm sure it was a couple of thousands.

I am a 1080p guy now but you mentioned in 2 posts that "its only 720P" like that makes it somehow bad.............I know a few guys still going 720P with awesome results. Sometimes 1080P isnt all that much of a change depending on screen, size and material being played. There are some real steals on used units.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
720p and 1080p only make a difference when certain viewing distances are taken into consideration. If you sit far enough back, your eye physically cannot resolve beyond a certain point (for all resolutions...depends on the distance and screen size). That is what these 32" 1080p displays, though it is the way things are going, don't really benefit you in terms of resolution (though usually there are other improvements).

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm still a 720p Infocus 777 guy with a 3-chip DLP. I love the lumans. I have a 133" screen. Light controlled room. What you guys suggest if I decided to upgrade to 1080p?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Well lets talk Lumis....

What we looking at? Specs and price.

Do you sell them?

Kinda have the upgrade bug right now!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts