AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bro recently purchased a ps3. he is looking for a 40" or more 1080p tv with a budget of no more than $1500. i have a westy 37" 1080p w3 tv...unfortunately it has the infamous "FLICKERING" problem aka hdmi handshake problem. so this is out of the question.

so any1 here can recommend a good lcd tv that won't have that flickering problem based on the criteria about? thx in advance.

·
Registered
685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc /forum/post/0

my bro recently purchased a ps3. he is looking for a 40" or more 1080p tv with a budget of no more than $1500. i have a westy 37" 1080p w3 tv...unfortunately it has the infamous "FLICKERING" problem aka hdmi handshake problem. so this is out of the question.

so any1 here can recommend a good lcd tv that won't have that flickering problem based on the criteria about? thx in advance.

I seriously doubt you will be able to find a good 1080p LCD HDTV in that size range for under $2000, unless you buy used or refurb.

·
Registered
206 Posts
 Cnet editors top picks

A Samsung 40" would be a good choice if you can find it on sale. Also, maybe look at Olevia if you can get by with 1080i. But $1500 is going to limit you now, very few sales in January compared to November and December. I would tell him to go down on size rather than quality. And check resellerratings before buying from an online merchant with a 'too good to believe" price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In my opinion 1080p is way overrated right now as the supply of films and broadcast are so limited, and that the sets are still high cost that you would have a feature you paid too much for that would hardly be used(right now). I started researching 1080p sets and at the 40-42" range at normal viewing distance you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between 1080P and 720P(1080i).

I saved about 700 bux and I bought a 42" LG 42LB1DR 720p(1080i) tons of features and it works awesome on my Ps3 through Hdmi and xbox360 through component and you may be able to find one in the price range your looking for. Gears of War (through component) or Resistance Fall of Man (HDMi) both play equally well on the tv and I've had no flicker problems.

·
Banned
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedzx /forum/post/0

I saved about 700 bux and I bought a 42" LG 42LB1DR 720p(1080i) tons of features and it works awesome on my Ps3 through Hdmi...

great...are u aware of the infamous "flickering problem." this happen when u buy in a dvd movie, nba2k7 which is a 720p game, and ps2 games? it happens to my existing westinghouse tv which is 1080p...i wonder if 1080p have to do anything with it.

but in order to fix my flickering problem...i have to switch between input source and back.

so my question to u again is do u have this problem with ur current lg tv?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is the flicker during gameplay/movie or when your tv is changing resolution say from a 720P game back to it's native resolution when you go back to the ps3 dashboard?

I just checked mine from the Ps3 dashboard 1080i to game 720p the screen goes dark like normal and the game comes up no flicker. I tried it with Underworld on Bluray and no flickering and I tried it on Clerks II (regular dvd) no flicker both from the dashboard to movie play.

·
Banned
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:

Is the flicker during gameplay/movie or when your tv is changing resolution say from a 720P game back to it's native resolution when you go back to the ps3 dashboard?

not during a movie...but in between ps3 dashboard and dvd movie, ps2 games, and 720p ps3 games. it keeps flickering until i change the input source on my remote from say hdmi to dvi and then back (or hdmi to video or ybr or and then back to hdmi...u get the picture).

so does it happen with ur tv?

·
Registered
4 Posts
No I don't get that problem with my LG (redited post above) but it almost sounds like your HDMI cable may be bad or not properly seated or may not be able to put out full 1080p some cables aren't as good as others some are limited in bandwith by distance to tv.

Of course downconverting 1080p to 720P may just be a firmware/hardware problem between the ps3 and 1080p sets but the Lg works great for me I understand the problem your having I can't seem to replicate it on the LG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why dont you look for sales on the Samsung LN-S4095D...

No flickering problems for me.

Wait for best buy to have a sale (around $2000), then have them bring down an extra hundred, and if you have a 12% off coupon...use that too. They usually have those coupons once a month or more.

You can potentially pick up that set for $1700 if you have the patience...

·
Banned
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:

No I don't get that problem with my LG (redited post above) but it almost sounds like your HDMI cable may be bad or not properly seated or may not be able to put out full 1080p some cables aren't as good as others some are limited in bandwith by distance to tv.

Of course downconverting 1080p to 720P may just be a firmware/hardware problem between the ps3 and 1080p sets but the Lg works great for me I understand the problem your having I can't seem to replicate it on the LG

it has nothing to do with hdmi...there is a thread dedicated to this problem with my westy tv with a ps3.

·
Banned
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2digg /forum/post/0

Why dont you look for sales on the Samsung LN-S4095D...

No flickering problems for me.

Wait for best buy to have a sale (around $2000), then have them bring down an extra hundred, and if you have a 12% off coupon...use that too. They usually have those coupons once a month or more.

You can potentially pick up that set for $1700 if you have the patience...

ok sounds good...i will tell my bro to get this tv then.

so no flickering problem...but have u encounter anything else with the ps3 for this tv or any other issues?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc /forum/post/0

it has nothing to do with hdmi...there is a thread dedicated to this problem with my westy tv with a ps3.

I would go with the Westy and just get the HDMI to DVI cable. That input works well with the PS3. Only one of the two DVI inputs works right though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.