AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a good soundbar to pair with my 46" Samsung LCD that's currently sitting on a glass topped 8' long credenza.

I'd like to keep the price around $6-700 but am willing to go a bit higher (if justifiable) for very good quality. My most important criteria is the ability to be able to control "center" channel or dialog. My wife is a bit hard of hearing so being able to boost dialog would be a huge win.

I don't listen to music often and all of my equipment routes through my DVDO Edge video processor that has optical and coax audio outs and specifically an HDMI audio only out for AVR's etc (in addition to standard HDMI out). I believe that would be the preferred connection.

What should I be contemplating? I've read numerous threads here and see alot of budget soundbar talk and recommendations and I'm certaintly not against going that route if that if its "good enough" or the extra $$$ isn't worth it (subjective I know!).

Should I be considering something other than the JVC or CT150?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am far from the most knowledgeable around here but with the yamaha ysp2200 release some time soon i would wait on that for a short time to see what the status of the release is going to be, it sounds like its going to be a great product. But there are a lot of deals out there atm and many of the other threads in here compare prices and systems and give u a good idea of whats out there.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Fom lots of hands on experience, the best bang for the buck is in the popular priced category. I have owned high end (Yamaha YSP), mid-range (Sony CT-100) and cheap (Vizio VSB200 - currently $90 or so) and the Vizio was far and away the best of that lot, especially on voices.

Currently using the JVC TH-BA1 which has the best sound of the bunch, but may or may not be better than the two current Sony offerings (CT-150/350) depending on your room and set up.

If your TV is on a glass table or stand, you may wish to consider some type of mat under the soundbar to avoide early reflections from the glass which could either muddy the sound or make it too bright.

For slightly more money the Asperion Slimstage sounds as if it should be a first class system. Nothing but positive reviews from knowledgeable sources.

For much more money Definitive Technology has 40" and 50" soundbars which are superb, but require a good receiver plus these are large boxes.

None of the other units require separate amplification.

For typical TV viewing, you won't go wrong with the JVC, either of the Sony's or the smaller Vizio. Stay away from the Vizio 510 as there seem to be a number of quality control issues.

·
Registered
75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 /forum/post/19588921

Currently using the JVC TH-BA1 which has the best sound of the bunch, but may or may not be better than the two current Sony offerings (CT-150/350) depending on your room and set up.

Doc, could you elaborate a little bit about what you mean by this statement? I just picked up a CT150 and am trying to decide if I should bring it back for the BA1 or CT350 based on positive reviews.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for the feedback!

I hadn't considered before the height of the soundbar and it possibly interfering with the display (as mine is simply on its stand on top of the glass). The bottom of the lcd display is maybe 6-10" from the glass top. I guess that would rule out the TH-BA1 which is disappointing because of the great things I've read about it!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson777 /forum/post/19603327

Doc, could you elaborate a little bit about what you mean by this statement? I just picked up a CT150 and am trying to decide if I should bring it back for the BA1 or CT350 based on positive reviews.

All three of these soundbars sound very, very good. Depending on things such as input devices, room accoustics, sunspots (?), any one may sound better in a particular setup. I also know to a lot of people, the ability to have HDMI switching from the soundbar is a contributing factor when making a choice.

If given the opportunity, I could make any one of the three sound very good or very bad in someone's home. Well, maybe not unlistenable bad, but there is enough range in adjustments, with proper setup any could be made to be a terrible or quite worthwhile choice.

For most people (like me), not our golden ear audiophiles, the sound is similar enough that a lot of people could not tell which was which in a double-blind test. I do hear a small amount of extra clarity in the high frequencies when listening to the BA-1, but do not know if I would miss it without a direct comparison. I also appreciate the speed of the BA-1's woofer. Again, wihout a direct comparison, no idea whether I would miss it our not.

Although totally ambiguous, I hope the above offers some clarity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.