AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to buy Ascend CBT-340 SE * 5 + Rhythmic 15 sub. This will be my first non PC speaker setup. I need the amp to receive analog inputs from soundcard. I will buy 3.5mm to 2*RCA outs to connect each pair of inputs on amp to the output on my PC. I saw that all new receivers under 1k lack analog inputs. I dont want to use digital due to lossy compression and latency from Dolby Digital Live encoding in PC and decoding in amp. I cannot use HDMI because HDMI out from graphics card bypasses soundcard. I need soundcard to do echo cancalletion on mic and EAX and such.

I found Onkyo 808 for $500 but I saw lots of post with problems and bad support. I am thinking of getting Marantz SR5007. Is this thing good?

My TV will be connected directly to my graphics card. So I dont care about video processing features.

the features I am looking for are:

1. Room correction like MultEQ XT

2. Auto standby and other power/heat reduction features. I plan to keep my device always on but it should switch if I dont use it for maybe 15/30 mins or so. I can switch it on manually but would happy if it could do that triggered by some input.

3. Power my speakers and give good audio quality.

4. Work without video display. I should be able to use amp purely with audio out. Should not require a display to operate by giving too many sub menus which can only be seen on TV. IF required should be rare.

5. Optionally have Radio and Spotify.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
If thats a good deal on the 808, and from an Onkyo dealer & it's not used jump on it because there is a 2 year warranty on it from Onkyo and when you register it with them there is an opportunity to get an extended one. take a look at accessories4less.com, for good pricing and information on AVR

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108  /t/1468858/a-good-receiver-with-analog-inputs-for-ascend-5-1#post_23219910

If thats a good deal on the 808, and from an Onkyo dealer & it's not used jump on it because there is a 2 year warranty on it from Onkyo and when you register it with them there is an opportunity to get an extended one. take a look at accessories4less.com, for good pricing and information on AVR

I understand they give warranty. Most of the the complaints I have read were about how they handle it. Lots of 1 stars for taking weeks and months to fix stuff. The other problem was the probability of failure was very high. I am assuming that is the reason for low price. It will be a good buy if those problems were from a small bad batch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1468858/a-good-receiver-with-analog-inputs-for-ascend-5-1#post_23220012

If you are referring to the 7.1 EXT IN multi analog inputs (as opposed to the stereo analog inputs on virtually every AVR), note that Audyssey does not work on these inputs which is why most prefer the HDMI and standard stereo inputs.

Wow, I didnt know that. Good thing I posted. I guess I have to research more and see which problem I can handle better. The speaker placement or DDL. I read issues with DDL from people regarding noticeable latency and sometimes just not working well. Thats very bad for fast paced games.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts