AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqgeek /forum/post/0

Anyone have a suggestion for a tv to use with the PS3?

Yeah, I've got my PS3 hooked up to a Sony KDL-40XBR2 and it is amazing. BUT - there is currently an issue with the XBRs from Sony. You may want to check out the Sony cloudy XBR2 thread before you buy one. I've got a Sony without the clouding and it is a thing of beauty when I'm using the PS3 as a Blu Ray player. Simply awesome. IMO, there's not a better match than this Sony 1080p LCD and the Sony PS3! You should see games like Resistance and Genji on this things! SICK!

Oh yeah, and the Xbox dials in at 1080i through component, which is still phenomenal. Gears of War on this TV is nothing short of stunning.

· Registered
72 Posts
OK so how about a 37 inch for the PS3?

Here are some things im running into when deciding:

-Every sales guy telling me something different. Some its 'it doesnt matter if its a 1080p on a smaller screen.' or 'you wont be able to see a difference with 1080p' or 'you will see a huge difference for 1080p', you get what i mean.

-Conflicting info on the web whether the 1080p TVs actually ARE 1080p Tvs.

-I also noticed that in teh store, regular TV signal to a 37' Mitsubishi 1080p looks like crap, i would rather have my SDTV with how that picture looked. All i will use the TV for is watching cable with some HD cable, and for the PS3 and old Xbox.

Anybody have any worthwhile suggestions?

Muchos Gracias!

· Registered
59 Posts
1. The higher resolution you must gauge for yourself - 1080p on a 37" LCD is entirely dependent on your eyesight, how far from the T.V you will sit, etc...

2. On an LCD, any programming not in the TV's native resolution will look fairly crappy. I only use it for my 360 with HD-DVD, so I'm perfectly happy...

· Registered
2,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5667 /forum/post/0

On an LCD, any programming not in the TV's native resolution will look fairly crappy. I only use it for my 360 with HD-DVD, so I'm perfectly happy...

This is just not true. Display is a function of input signal and video processing. I have a 1080p display and everything looks great.....SD as well as HD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryaneleven /forum/post/0

--Every sales guy telling me something different. Some its 'it doesnt matter if its a 1080p on a smaller screen.' or 'you wont be able to see a difference with 1080p' or 'you will see a huge difference for 1080p', you get what i mean.

With a 37" HDTV, unless you sit within a couple of feet from the set, you would not notice much if any benefit from 1080p. Some eagle-eyed folks may argue this but for us with normal vision the consensus is that you need a 50"-55" set before 1080p comes into play.

Quote:

A "good number" of 1080p sets do not accept 1080p inputs. LCDs are progressive display. Every received signal (480i/480p/720p/1080i) is deinterlaced and scaled, if necessary, and displayed at 1920x1080 on a 1080p set. If the input is 1080i the input is deinterlaced and displayed as 1080/30p. If a set accepts 1080p inputs, deinterlacing is not required and 1080/60p is displayed.

Quote:

--I also noticed that in teh store, regular TV signal to a 37' Mitsubishi 1080p looks like crap, i would rather have my SDTV with how that picture looked. All i will use the TV for is watching cable with some HD cable, and for the PS3 and old Xbox.

It is difficult to judge how well a set handles SD while viewing the set in a store. Good SD is dependent upon a good input signal and video processing. The signal in a store is liable to be split many times before it reaches the various sets. Will SD look as 'good' as HD? Absolutely not!! But there is no reason for SD to look "like crap". Find the local thread for your area and cable provider and read how others view SD reception. This would be a better clue than what you see in a store.

· Registered
818 Posts
Best viewing angle depends on the set viewing angle. Some have 176 other have 178. Also on 37" LCD you should be at least 12 feet away to get the best picture. 6 Ft for gaming, but I do that in the comforts of my bed with laser wireless keyboard and mouse from logitech. I just glide the mouse over the sheets works perfect.

As for 1080p until that get's more standard as for right now everyone is broadcasting in either 720p or 1080i for now. I was too interested in the 1080p but really didn't see the sense in cost buying something that might not take hold yet.

When you but a set look for extra video features, not just the 3D YC Comb Filter, you need more to clear up the contrast, brightness, fuzz, smooth detail on fonts/text edges an etc.. Alot of sets out there are week in this area.

SD should be a very good picture with video processor engine

HD should be excellent on it's own might be a need for VPE if required by the set logic chip

S-Video and Component Video also can benifit from VPE for those of you who have the WII game system.

I still say using HDMI with good 24K Gold Plated cables don't have to go crazy on price a lot of them do the same thing filter out EMI/EMF signals.

A word of the wise if you have Digital Cable and have the box from them and are unhappy with the quaility of the lower channels. Then have the level 3 service tech come out and check the signal strenght and line quality. I know with Comcast I had to take the tech to other people around where I live to see what they were getting on the local channels. They also had crap too. The level 3 tech installed a drop line directly to where I was living so that would increase the picture quality, but that wasn't the problem. The problem was a burn out transformer down street, but nobody every complained about their picture quality before.

Today I am with COX left Comcast behind, learn from the Comcast days and got them to redo the lines in the house with all digital gold plated ends on both in and out for 8 connections 4 has a power amp distrubter. Then Cox found out I didn't have a drop line from the street pole so bucket truck was ordered to installed for the 11 top grade cable to increase/improve picture and internet speed.

So if you all are unhappy with your SD channels you might was to make that call, so all that money you spend each month on bad cable channels you should get that taken care of A-SAP!

· Registered
741 Posts
Sharp has a new 37" 1080P game mode tv with 3 hdmi inputs coming in March timeframe. One of the three HDMI and composite inputs are on the side. Also the side inputs have the special game mode which apparently reduces any lag delay between the console and tv which I assume reduces image processing overhead which is present in all LCD's. If you ever go to a big box store you will notice the slightest delay that some sets have displaying images compared to others. The delay is the signal processing that is being done to improve the image quality. Not great for games especially playing my PS3 online where milliseconds matters. I also noted that Samsung has a 42" game mode LCD coming out. I'm looking to fit a 37" into my existing cabinet which is why most people want a 37". My only problem is that for $2k they should have included 120hz technology in it. The 120hz will be reserved for the larger sets. The contrast however has been boosted which I was waiting for. It is 1700:1 with a dynamic of 8500:1 which is unheard of in a set this size. Of course the larger more expensive sets will get 3000:1 at 15,000:1 dynamic.

LC-32GP1U: 32-inch, $1,699.99 Available in March

LC-37GP1U: 37-inch, $1,999.99 Available in march

Scroll down on the page link for the image: The Sharp 37
Sharp 37" Game Mode LCD

The real battle lines will be drawn when the wireless option TV's come out. You can keep all your AV in the cabinet and have a wireless TV stream and mount the LCD on the wall with only a need for power. I think this is the Wife approval option most of us are looking for.

Quote:

OK so how about a 37 inch for the PS3?

Here are some things im running into when deciding:

-Every sales guy telling me something different. Some its 'it doesnt matter if its a 1080p on a smaller screen.' or 'you wont be able to see a difference with 1080p' or 'you will see a huge difference for 1080p', you get what i mean.

-I also noticed that in teh store, regular TV signal to a 37' Mitsubishi 1080p looks like crap, i would rather have my SDTV with how that picture looked. All i will use the TV for is watching cable with some HD cable, and for the PS3 and old Xbox.

Anybody have any worthwhile suggestions?

Muchos Gracias!

· Registered
72 Posts
WOW you guys are extremely helpful, looks like i came to the right place!

So can anybody suggest a specific TV in 37 inch for use with PS3 and watching cable, HD cable, DVDs, some Blu-Ray etc.

I am considering the Westinghouse LVM-37w3. It has 1080p, and is very well priced. I am wondering tho will it matter that technically it is a 'monitor' and not a 'TV'. Looks like ppl are using it for both.

Also a guy at the store by my house said the Sharp LC37D42 is my best bet, apparently they have hooked PS3 up to it in the store and its the best '37 they have. but i am wondering since the Westy is the same price and i get 1080p, does it make more sense to go with that one.

If anybody has any feedback on these two or even a different model it would be greatly appreciated. Or let me know if you think i should wait alltogether for the Sharp Gamer TV.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.